HELP!!!! - RETAKE MCATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkChild

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEy guys its been a while since I posted on this board...
But I'm back. My question is should I retake my MCATs?
the first time (Aug 1999) I got a 35: 13V 12B 10P cant remember the letter grade
the second time (April 2001) I got a 34: 12V 11B 11P again cant remember the letter grade
Now I'm shooting for the top 15 schools - given a semi-solid GPA (3.6 from a pretty good school) should I retake the test.
You guys all know what a freaking pain in the a$$ this thing is - and I would have a month to prep for it. which is close, but I can make it.
As I see it, it would be better if I spent the time I would spent on the MCATs on my application. I think a well polished application which is timely handed in would do more for my entry into med schools than if I scored a 36 or 37.
I know there is a lot of weight put on the MCATs and all, but I figure that once you make the initial cut - i.e. you're average for the school then its every man for themselves.
SDNers, I just need a little reassurance.
Thanks guys!!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh jesus

calm down, child. your scores are f***ing awesome. Taking the MCAT more than once is a horrendous event (I should know), but taking it a third time? Especially with such great scores? Negative, Ghostrider.

Originally posted by scootad.
Get lost.:D

Ditto

1~2 points isn't going to make a turd of difference at that level.

I think what the above post means by "get lost" is that your MCAT score is good enough and ultimately will NOT be the deciding factor as to whether or not you get into a top 15. Polishing up your application is EXACTLY what you need to do.

nah don't retake it unelss you are sure you could really rock it 38,39 or something - and there was something wrong the first 2 times you took it. you have fine scores - balanced - so just concentrate on other parts of your app. i should take my own advice and do something about these secondaries ...

I don't think it would be worth your while...especially since you went down the 2nd time you took it.

Hi Darkchild,

I'd say those scores are definately above average and should get you in should the rest of your application be good.

Here's the thing though, you said you wanted to go to a Top 15 school. That's definately the wrong way to look at medical school. Try to find schools that fit your needs and goals best, not what ranking they have.

In doing this, you'll discover that every medical school is just as good as the other: they'll all make you a doctor. However, all their programs will differ and by picking the program that matches you best will insure that you become a competent physician. Don't make the mistake of going to a school based on rankings and hating it. Good luck.

- Focus

Thanks for the feedback guys; you're absolutely right, and I REALLY F*ing hate that test.
Really appreciate the responses cuz its been driving me nuts.

Your numbers are very competitive. If you present yourself well on papers and at the interviews, you'll definitely have a very good chance of getting in top schools. Best of lucks!

i can't believe you guys take these posts so damn seriously. what kind of person doyou have to be to come on here and be like... "i got a 36 on my mcats and a 3.6 from a good school... WILL I GET IN!?!?!?"

why don't we just start a thread that's called:
'i'm good at premed shi* and i want to inform you all about it.'

or, we could just as easily call it:
'my parents say if i don't go to a top 15 school, i'm worthless. help me!!'

better yet, it might be best understood as:
'i love to brag- and i'm a freak- and i worry about whether or not i'll be able to take my next breath, given as how that last one was a yawn...'

stop worrying dammit... your scores are great- and stop placing an emphasis on rankings... go where YOU want to go.... not where the editors of U.S. NEWS tell you to go.

p

You guys will notice, she didn't get in her first time trying. So this kind of is a valid question. Up until you think about the question.
A 35 will get you into any school assuming you have the grades, EC's, and LOR's. It wasn't the MCAT that held you back last time.

THanks for the assist Jalby:
I didnt get in the first time; for a number of reasons I only applied to four schools and they were all for MD/PhD programs - I have no regrets because honestly I just wasnt ready for school. Now I am.
I know it sounds a little obnoxious to ask the question that I did - but hey, reapplying is a nerve-wracking thing.
But as all of you without fail have said (and it is something that I KNEW deep down inside) once you're in range of the schools numbers, its the other part of the apps that help get you in.

was it you that did the comics? or was that darkmatter? I think it was darkmatter....and one of you went to harvard right? damn I can't remember anything!

Anyway, I wouldn't take it again...I doubt its your mcat holding you back.

I think taking it 3 times is not such a good thing. if u only had 1 score, i woulda suggested retaking IF U KNEW u could get higher.

but as it is, i agree w/ the other ppl. don't do it, and just work on other things: like party!

I agree with everything the above posters have said and have one thing to add. If i was on the adcom and saw your previous two scores and then saw you were taking it in August again I would throw your application out due to insanity. Seriously, unless there is some deep dark sercret your not telling us about your record you will do great