HELP! Scrambling for an osteopathic internship/transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therealdeal

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys...I was banking on matching into a catagorical anesthesia program but instead matched into an Advanced 3-year spot. I am a DO student and don't have an osteopathic internship lined up. Does anyone have advice for me. I called everywhere today looking for an AOA approved internship and all the left-over spots went into the MD match. I'm screwed, depressed and don't want to leave my family to find an internship. Should I just go through the scramble tomorrow and then try to get one AOA approved?

Please help me guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Go get help from your school immediately. Do you have a dean? You shouldn't be doing this alone.

You need to get your hands on the unmatched list from the osteopathic match this year and then start calling. You should at least be able to get a fax from the AOA headquarters if you have trouble navigating the site.

Get on the phone and start explaining your situation. Hurry up because these things will be going like hot cakes in the more desireable locations.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are also quite a few (45) MD transitional spots open in today's scramble, coupled with 486 prelim surgery/194 prelim medicine unfilled positions. Does your intern year have to be osteopathic? If not, you do have quite a few options.

remember, you only need the AOA approved internship if you plan on WORKING in the few states that require it. You don't need it for training purposes.

I matched into an MD transitional year and into a MD PGY-2 specialty. I have no intention on working in any of those states that require one. Also, I heard you can appeal the process and have it granted to you if you've already finished residency and want to work in those states. It's just paperwork.

UMDNJ in Stratford, NJ has some spots still available. 856-566-7121. Good luck!

I believe my hospital Garden City Hospital in Michigan has a few spots.

nice little community hospital

Mt.Clemens General Hospital has some spots I think. Wonderful enviornment to learn/work in. Residents seem to LOVE to teach students and interns.

This should not be that big of a problem. You should check the AOA site.