SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

HELP! Secondary question JUST like what I wrote in personal statement. Northweseter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kreno, Aug 22, 2002.

1. kreno

kreno Candy Man 7+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2001
    northwestern asks "what processes have you used to explore your commitment to a career in medicine. Describe in detail your evolution of thought and discory tha tled to your decision.

Um, this was how I approached my personal staement. now what do I do?!? say "see personal statement"?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Tweetie_bird

Tweetie_bird 7+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2001
    well, you could do that...OR....

I would try and expand on something in your PS. What specific incident speaks out to you that encompasses everything about how you feel about medicine? What did you learn from it? surely, there has to be something that you WISH you could have included in your PS (but couldn't because of space). This is your time to write PS #2, which might overlap with #1, but that's completely okay!

If I were you, I would say something like.....

"In my personal statement, I had described blah blah blah. I would like to take this opportunity and expand more on this issue, because ...blah blah blah"

4. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tweetie-bird is exactly right -- use the secondary to write more in depth about something you touched on briefly in your personal statement. Your goal is to give the adcomm a more complete picture of you -- fleshing out the skeleton that you drew in the earlier essay.

You might want to take a look at the (free) advice about approaching this type of secondary at:

http://www.accepted.com/medical/secondaryessay.aspx

Good luck!

5. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Hey, I ran into the same problem. I did what the others have advised--elaborated on my personal statement. I don't think that that's a bad thing, I think it's probably more important to be sincere and honest instead of trying to bs something just so it won't sound too much like your personal statement. Just my thoughts.