Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Help...So what should I do next? PhD?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Challenge, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Challenge

Hi I'm in grad school biotech major. I was supposed to graduate in May this year but I've decided to stay for another year to take some more classes and start preparing MCAT. I have about 3.0 undergrad GPA(AACOM) and 3.5 grad GPA. I worked as a clinical technician(full-time) for almost a year, worked as a physical therapy assistant for about 6 mos. and lots of teaching experience as a Taekwondo master. Of course I'm greatly interested in osteopathic medicine so that's why I'm here.
    However when I graduate in May next year, I'm not sure what I should do a year or couple of years before going to medical school if I get in.
    I am thinking to apply PhD program in physiology and biophysics or pathology so I can take courses that strenghthen my medical/science background.
    If I don't finish PhD program (such as just taking courses during the first 1 or 2 years before qualifying exam), would that look bad on medical school admission comittees?
    I really don't want to look for job yet. I rather strengthen my knowledge by taking more courses.
    I would really appreciate some good advise or input. Thank you
    :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Challenge

Just forgot to mention, I'm currently in master program.

4. AYLC

AYLC Member

It's really up to you if you want to study for Ph.D. I just got my Ph.D. in molecular and cell biology, and to be honest, it does make your application look good and impressive. In my experience, I have been accepted to every school I applied. :)
    However, I have always had interviewers ask me why you want to go to med school after grad school. It makes more sense to them if you go on to work as a post-doc and then do research or teaching. Be prepare for that sort of question when you apply to med school and you should be fine. Hope this helps.