Help Step2 CS in 3 days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emoptions

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am reading through First Aid CS right now. They have checklists for all sorts of symptoms. What percentage of these do we need to get right to pass?

Do you need to do an entire mini mental status exam for dementia patients?

Do you identify your position as medical student?

How do you know when to counsel on smoking cessation and alcohol as sometimes First AID has you do this and other times they do not even if the person reports smoking/alcohol every time.

Did anyone write out the psych mental status exam with mood/speech/attitude etc?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the diagnostic test on CS are crap. Who does a penile US on a diabetic with ED? An MRI on someone with simple meniere's dz? SPEP on everyone with neuropathy? Give me a freaking break! Do we really have to do all that crap?

I am just adding to your questions, I have no answers and am taking it Wednesday :oops:

Do you need to do an entire mini mental status exam for dementia patients?

I wouldn't, although it should be assessed to some degree. Person/place/time at a minimum.

It doesn't matter if you do or not.

How do you know when to counsel on smoking cessation and alcohol as sometimes First AID has you do this and other times they do not even if the person reports smoking/alcohol every time.

When you would do it in real life.

Did anyone write out the psych mental status exam with mood/speech/attitude etc?

Once.

Hi guys,

When you go in to see a patient, you need to give your name and define your role in the patient encounter. It's what you would normally do in clinical encounters anyway.

If the patient is a smoker, mentioning smoking cessation is a given. If the patient is not ready to give it up, note that you are available and have the resources available when he does want to quit. Alcohol, depends on the results of the CAGE questionnaire. It shouldn't take that long to cover these two points, and it is expected as part of the clinical encounter.

Good luck on the test!

Nu