Help! To repeat or not to repeat?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErgoMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Here is the situation, I have a foreign BS bio degree. I had my transcript evaluated by a reputable service, and it was determined that its equivalent to a US bachelor's.

I have a greencard. So I am not considered an international student. However having a foreign BS complicates my case.

I have done a lot of research and found out that most medical schools especially the ones in Cali, require international students, or those that have studied outside the US at least a year of study in the US prior to application. Now, I called them and asked : What courses should I take? Should I retake all the prereqs? how many credits/units do I need?
But unfortunately, not a single person answered me with clarity. I got really vague answers. Some of them said that they do not advise applicants like myself on what courses to take..blah blah blah... Some said I should just take science based courses.

So what I did was I enrolled in a post bacc program. ANd for the first semester, I took the basics: orgo, bio, physics.
Now I am on my second semester (my last semester) And I am planning to take upper div classes such as biochem and physio.

The question is, is it alright if I do not retake all the prerequisites for medical school? What do you think about what I am doing? Will this be enough?

As for shadowing, volunteering, research etc. I have some done in the US and some outside the US.

Please let me know your thoughts.
I thank you all in advance!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

Here is the situation, I have a foreign BS bio degree. I had my transcript evaluated by a reputable service, and it was determined that its equivalent to a US bachelor's.

I have a greencard. So I am not considered an international student. However having a foreign BS complicates my case.

I have done a lot of research and found out that most medical schools especially the ones in Cali, require international students, or those that have studied outside the US at least a year of study in the US prior to application. Now, I called them and asked : What courses should I take? Should I retake all the prereqs? how many credits/units do I need?
But unfortunately, not a single person answered me with clarity. I got really vague answers. Some of them said that they do not advise applicants like myself on what courses to take..blah blah blah... Some said I should just take science based courses.

So what I did was I enrolled in a post bacc program. ANd for the first semester, I took the basics: orgo, bio, physics.
Now I am on my second semester (my last semester) And I am planning to take upper div classes such as biochem and physio.

The question is, is it alright if I do not retake all the prerequisites for medical school? What do you think about what I am doing? Will this be enough?

As for shadowing, volunteering, research etc. I have some done in the US and some outside the US.

Please let me know your thoughts.
I thank you all in advance!:)

Some schools require applicants to attend US or Canadian school for 3 or more years in order to apply. So if you want to broaden up your list of med schools to apply, I recommend taking full 3 years. In the meanwhile I would go ahead and retake all the prereqs. It seems like you are almost done with pre-reqs already anyways since prereqs consist of 2 semesters of bio, physics, chem, and orgo, all with labs supplemented.

In order for you to have no problem at all, you would have to get a new BS or Masters in the US. But I don't think you want to do that.

My suggestion is to ask all schools that you are intrested in regarding your suggestion through email.

Most importantly, you should speak English in native-like manner, which I think you are more than capable of.

And good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)