Help! Two very general questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jy87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:

I'm in the process of applying to write the DAT this summer (in ~ late June hopefully).

I will not be applying to dental school for another 12-15 months after I write the exam, probably closer to the former.

Although I think I know the answer to the following question, I'm really neurotic about these things :D so if anyone can confirm this for me I'd greatly appreciate it:

Will any dental schools consider the scores that they receive when I apply to be too old to be acceptable (By that time, 12-15 months old)?

I think I've read that, depending on the school, the least lenient school will not accept scores that are more than two years old. Can anyone confirm this for me?

And my second very general question is the following: I'm currently taking 2nd year Orgo and I'm planning on giving myself about 1.5 months to study for the DAT (from mid May to late June). Is this enough time, considering that I won't really have to start studying orgo from scratch and it should be relatively fresh in my head?

Thanks a lot guys!!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello:

I'm in the process of applying to write the DAT this summer (in ~ late June hopefully).

I will not be applying to dental school for another 12-15 months after I write the exam, probably closer to the former.

Although I think I know the answer to the following question, I'm really neurotic about these things :D so if anyone can confirm this for me I'd greatly appreciate it:

Will any dental schools consider the scores that they receive when I apply to be too old to be acceptable (By that time, 12-15 months old)?

I think I've read that, depending on the school, the least lenient school will not accept scores that are more than two years old. Can anyone confirm this for me?

And my second very general question is the following: I'm currently taking 2nd year Orgo and I'm planning on giving myself about 1.5 months to study for the DAT (from mid May to late June). Is this enough time, considering that I won't really have to start studying orgo from scratch and it should be relatively fresh in my head?

Thanks a lot guys!!! ;)

most schools will take scores up to like 3 years back so 12-15 months is well within that timeframe. 1.5 months is plenty of time to prepare for the DAT if you are disciplined.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my DAT last summer and I'm not applying until this May. You should be fine. As for study length, I studied about 4 weeks and got 20's. I'd say 4-6 weeks should be plenty of time to do well. Good luck.

I will not be applying to dental school for another 12-15 months after I write the exam, probably closer to the former. ... Will any dental schools consider the scores that they receive when I apply to be too old to be acceptable (By that time, 12-15 months old)?

My scores were 17 months old when I was accepted. ... You'll be fine.

but the problem is... if you don't get accepted the first cycle you apply and you apply the next cycle, that puts you just on the 2-3 year limit (if not more). Why don't you spend this whole summer studying your butt-off until late augest, and then take the DAT. You not applying for another year or so

wow! thanks for the replies everyone!

I think I may take your advice Nasem, you bring up a great point! :)