Help!!! Unmatched for General Surgery!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LRingers

The Last Dragon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
m

Members don't see this ad.

take a deep breath & relax....

First off, you really need to work your ass off this year to make a good impression on your fellow residents & staff. They will be your most valuable assett in finding another position. Starting in the early spring, a # of positions begin to be solicited for those residents who have decided to quit surgery or transfer into another specialty. Many programs with openings send out mass mailings to other PD's advertising these spots. Stay in touch with your PD & chairman in the spring and they can help you look for other programs & oppurtunities. Many times, they will find a position for you @ their own program if you knock their socks off with your work ethic. You will be under a microscope because of your prelim status, but if you do good work the word gets out quickly among your fellow residents & eventually your staff.

Sometimes positions are advertised in some of the journals in the back (usually pgy2 &3 positions)

Best of luck!

Rob

i had a friend who got into prelim.........

decided against it at the last minute, and secured a paid research fellowship.........

that gave him plenty of time to go on interviews, work on his applications, and buff-up his CV..... in the end he got a categorical spot at an academic center..........

in general a prelim spot is very risky............there is a chance that a categorical spot will open, but there is no garauntee..........

all the best.
entropy.

Members don't see this ad :)
prelim surgery spots are a crap unless u are an IMG trying to get into the US system of residency
i would take the yr off to do research and apply again!
its not worth the pain to go thru a prelim yr hoping to secure a spot that may not hapen

goodluck

I have a good friend in the same position- he's taking a prelim spot at a program that he really wanted in hopes they'll work something out for him.

I think droliver offered some great advice. Where I was for medical school, we had a prelim that was spectacular (great guy, hardworking) that people had a very high opinion of. One of the categoricals in his class switched to pathology, so this prelim got his spot.

At one of my interviews, they mentioned the attrition rate for surgery tends to be around 20%. I'm not sure how consistent that is, but it makes me think that a spot will open up somewhere (if not at your program) and if you have a good relationship with your PD, maybe he/she would be willing to make a few calls on your behalf to get you in.

As for doing research, I could definitely see the pros. On the other hand, what should you do if you already signed a contract to accept a prelim spot? Are there any other hurdles/ potential dangers of doing this? Would you just re-enter ERAS this fall and go through the interview process again? I would have never suspected that my friend would not match, and we've been trying to think of things so that he will not be stuck this time next year.

-f.c.

What were your board scores?

AMPA,
I have noticed that you seem to make comments in multiple forums. Just curious to know what field you are going in to. I have also noticed that you seem to have very strong opinions, which really make you look foolish at times. To say that prelim spots are crap is just stupid. You have to realize that there are people out there that may noyt have matched in the competitive subspecialties such as urology, ENT, ortho, etc. that are doing prelim years. Many of these people could have and (will if they chose) match in categorical gen surg spots at some of the more competitive places in the country. I am aware that there are prelims who wanted to match in gen surg but did not. Many of these people will do prelim years which may help them develop surgical skills. If they work hard maybe they will be able to get letters of recommendation that can actually speak to how they perform as a surgical resident. Finally, lets get real there are always alot of PGY2 spots out there in gen surg. Please dont be clever and respond that I am upset because I did not match in gen surg. I matched in another field without a problem.

Sorry for calling you AMPA, Typing error.

ive said this before...what i post is my opinions..whether u like them or not i really dont care!

Chin up! You obviously didn't get what you wanted, but there is no sense in crying over it now. Don't let it get you down. Your goal now is simple: parlay your prelim spot into a categorical spot somewhere that you will be happy. You may have to re-do the intern year, not uncommon, but honestly... you've delayed gratification this long, don't let one more year stand in your way.

Things to do:
Sit down with your advisors at your medical school and discuss what you think might have gone wrong. (Did you rank too few programs? Did you overshoot? Do you need interviewing work? etc.) Don't worry about the things you can't fix (e.g. grades, board scores, etc.)

Get prepared for your new hospital. Think of this year as a very long audition rotation. That means, you need to work harder, act more interested, be better prepared than the next person. You really want your program director to be willing to stick his neck out for you and you will need a letter from him/her as one of your letters probably.

Plan to reapply for the match. Even if you aren't particularly interested in repeating your intern year (who is?!) the exposure you can get to those programs and their program directors is invaluable. Often times, if the PD knows that they will have a hole in the program (not uncommon by Jan for someone to drop out somewhere) they will remember you as someone who can fill the spot.

Finally, as RIO said: Make sure to stay in close touch with your own pd. Virtually all the best positions are passed on through word of mouth. A very few make it through open postings that can be found in journals or the web (the APDS website is probably the best for this, www.apds.org click on the left side for open positions as well as available residents to post your own ad)

Above all, don't give up hope. If surgery is your calling, don't let this setback keep you from it. Good luck!

I think APMA makes some outstanding statements of reality. The truth sometimes hurts, but APMA is sincere.

Apma,
I know you post your opinions. You are entitled to do so. I just believe that some of your opinions appear to have absolutely no thought behind them.

Please keep expressing your opinions. I just fealt it was necessary to let you know that you sound somewhat immature and as if you may have had some horrible experience with a surgeon. Gosh writes that you "make oustanding statements about reality." The statements that I have seen include. "90% of surgeons are pricks...., if you are a nice guy surgery is probably not for you...., prelim spots are crap." This is not reality this is just foolish. These sound like comments from a juvenile rather than one who has actually earned an MD.

I noticed that you ranked anesthesiology programs, and ranked UIC #1. I know that they had at least two PGY2 (cat gen surg)spots for this coming year. I actually know someone who did a prelim year who got one of the spots.

The point is that there are people who are writing and wanting solid advise. To advise an American grad that he or she should do research instead of a prelim spot is horrible advise. I have a friend who did not match in gen surg, he had the same questions as some of the people in this forum. He was told by every faculty member here and at other institutions that there is no question that he should do a prelim year.

To those of you who did not match you know what to do. Work hard and keep your head up. Use this year to your benefit. I personally know several people who have obtained categorical spots after prelim years. Good luck. APMA good luck to you as well, whether it be at UIC or whereever you are going.