1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

HELP UPenn Secondaries--URGENT!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by nob01001, Nov 28, 2005.

1. nob01001

nob01001 Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm struggling with the question:

"Please explain what interests you the most in dentistry as well as what interests you the least."

Are they referring to a dental specialty? A dental procedure? Or anything pertaining to dentistry, such as dealing with paper work etc?

I called the admission's office twice, but the person on the phone wasn't helpful at all. What did you guys put down?

Thanks!

2. hj714

hj714 Member
    5+ Year Member

It's same questions as "why do you want to persue a career in dentistry?"

Just be honest, i guess the answers can be ranged from:

- like working with people
    - like the business aspect of dentistry
    - rewarding feeing of helping people
    - combination of arts and science...etc..

Figure out why you like dentistry and write about that.

Hope that helps

3. nob01001

nob01001 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply. I have a hard time coming up with "what you like the least about dentistry"... would I jeopardize my chances of getting in if I listed 'basic science research'? How research-intensive is UPenn?

4. edkNARF

edkNARF A is A
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    No. You will probably be asked to explain your answer if you are hear for an interview, so be honest. Penn is a research insitution, but that does NOT mean you have to love (or have done) research to go here. Be honest on that secondary, they can spot a "canned" answer from miles away.

5. I'mFillingFine

I'mFillingFine Pulptastic
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just answer what first things come to mind. When you picture yourself in 20 years, and you picture yourself grinning while at work, what are you doing? When you picture yourself whining over dinner to your family, what is it about?

It can be any number of factors for good/bad, like high people contact/insurance claims, lots of new technology/too many patients in one day, you love oral tissues/worried about blood-born pathogens

I imagine they can be as specific or general as you want. They don't want you to agonize over the question...mine was just one short paragraph for the pro and one for the con. Hope this helps!