HELP! UVA or Pitt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nellybee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know this is late in the game but I just very unexpectedly got into UVA off the waiting list today and I don't know what to do. I am in-state and I love Cville but I was all set to go to Pitt in 2 weeks. What to do?? Does anyone know the contrast between their curriculums? I really liked Pitt's block scheduling, but they are both PDF and UVA would be way cheaper...

Ahh thanks guys!!

Nelly

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would disregard the fact that you were set to go to Pitt, and have some serious thought about which school you like better and where you would prefer to be. You will be at either school for at least four years, and going to Pitt over UVA just because you have an apartment lined up is insignificant in the long run. I don't know if that's the case, but I just thought I should mention it.

Where's the tuition cheapest? Cheapest cost of living? Remember: debt is NOT your friend and you want as little as possible at the end of four years.

Besides, I (assume) that both schools are in equivalent tiers. If so, then neither will make much of a diff when applying to residencies.

** Also, compare the clinical training @ both schools. Which has the best rep? How are your 3d and 4th years going to be structured? Which school gives you the most opportunity to get hands-on, versus being just a spectator?****

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to UVa. I am seriously biased, but UVa is a great school, and comparable to Pitt as far as reputation goes (although Pitt is definitely on the rise, so is UVa). In light of your in-state status and the fact that you love C-ville (and pittsburg sucks as a town), then I would go with UVa. The clinical training is great, and the off-site rotations can actually be an advantage by offering more student autonomy.
Hopefully I'll see you in a few weeks.

How is Pittsburgh any worse of a town that Cville? :confused: IMO, Pitt has double what Cville has, because Pitt's got the same small town atmosphere, but still has all the escapes of city life if you need it.

nellybee, since UVA has been your top choice for a while, you need to give it serious thought. Tuition isn't going to matter that much, especially since in-state total cost of attendance is 40K+ (and rising every year thanks to VA's fiscal debacle), compared to around 50K at Pitt. You asked about the curriculum-- UVA is pretty rigidly traditional, with long lectures and a set division between pre-clinical and clincal years, while Pitt has a major emphasis on small group learning and PBL. Pitt also has 1.5 years of basic sciences so you can get a head start on rotations as an M2 versus as an M3 at UVA. The research rep of Pitt is much better, of course. They've got one of the highest NIH funded hospital systems in the country. OTOH, UVA is affiliated with top tier undergrad, law and business programs, if cross-enrolling in such courses is to your liking. You also probably want to think about how close you wish to be near home during school.

Still, since you've probably given UVA an LOI, etc., you definitely need to put some deep thought into all this. Good luck.

Try to find out their average USMLE STEP 1 averages because that is the only thing that matters. If the average is high then they are teaching the right material to do well on the USMLE STEP 1 exam and that score is a big part of which residency you get accepted into. Not all schools make this info available though. FYI: the nationwide mean this year was 217 with a SD of 23. Good luck.

TheFlash said:
How is Pittsburgh any worse of a town that Cville? :confused: IMO, Pitt has double what Cville has, because Pitt's got the same small town atmosphere, but still has all the escapes of city life if you need it.
I am biased since I'll be heading to UVA, but I have relatives who live in Pitt and I hate that city. The coal and steel industries have really taken their toll on that area, and it just looks tired and grungy.

Pitt does have a very good hospital system though, so it isn't like you are going to have educational issues at either school.

AlternateSome1 said:
I am biased since I'll be heading to UVA, but I have relatives who live in Pitt and I hate that city. The coal and steel industries have really taken their toll on that area, and it just looks tired and grungy.

Pitt does have a very good hospital system though, so it isn't like you are going to have educational issues at either school.

I think you are thinking of Pittsburgh back in the seventies. It is not tired and grungy nowadays.

-Pittsburgh is cold. Very cold. Coming from Virginia, you would be in for some long depressing winters at Pitt.

-Also, I heard Pitt will start requiring students to do research (like Duke) so consider that.

-Even if UVA is only 10K less than Pitt, that's 40K over 4 years. Definitely a consideration.

-PBL is a bunch of crap. It should not be more than a minor consideration. Ninety percent of your learning will occur by reading your books and notes anyway.

A few points to the last few posts:

I know both Cville and Pitt intimately, and I would definitely choose the latter as a place to live in. Cville is too culturally, politically and racially homogenous for my liking.

They both have cold, depressing winters. But so do all schools north of here. The last hurricane (yes, a freakin' hurricane) in the fall wrecked Cville and caused school to be let out for a few days after power was missing across the entire county for nearly a week. Cville received a crapload of snow in the winter, and even into the spring it was frigid and there was snow on the ground. It's not like the rest of Virginia because it's so high up in the mountains.

40K is chump change in difference considering that it's the footing of your entire medical education, not to mention four years worth of happiness with where you're living/attending. Virginia has had serious problems this year retaining their best and brightest because of the outrageous tuition it extolls on its residents.

I was on the Pitt waitlist but I withdrew right after I got accepted to UVA. One of the main reasons was because I am a Virginia resident but I love UVA med school anyways. A friend of mine chose UVA over Vandy and Pitt last year when he got off the waitlist. I would choose UVA if you want to practice at Virginia in the future and want to save some money. Otherwise, Pitt is another cool school to go to.

TheFlash said:

Charlottesville is the number one place to live in the US according to Cities Ranked & Rated which was published in March of this year. I don't think Pittsburg even made the top ten. That should say something.

Pitt is the number ONE worst city for singles.... just somethin to think about...

Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be great to raise a family in Charlottesville. It's a really nice, scenic and homey place. It's just not the place for me as a student.

And as for Frommer's list-- certified dumps like Asheville, Reno and Corvallis rounded out the top ten. New York, the capitol of the planet, was #40. Boston, San Francisco and Chicago didn't even make the top 60. That list is the eptiome of bunk. Please refrain from quoting it.

Pittsburgh has been number one on those lists in the recent past.

medicalstudent9 said:
I think you are thinking of Pittsburgh back in the seventies. It is not tired and grungy nowadays.

I wasn't alive in the 70's, so I'm thinkin of Pitt from 2002 and earlier. Unless they've had some major clean-up in the last 2 years, its a grungy city.

UVa is home of conservative loving, abortion hating, gun touting cool kids. :D

definitely UVa

nellybee -- You can't go wrong either way; those are both great options! Congrats and good luck!

amnesia said:
UVa is home of conservative loving, abortion hating, gun touting cool kids. :D

definitely UVa

See why you should choose Pitt? :D

Let me answer some of the above posts:

On the boards I think Pitt averaged 1 SD above the mean. We get 10 weeks to study or some such ridiculous amount.

Aesthetically, Pgh is actually not bad. Sure there are some industrial relics from the steel era and the downtown is sorely in need of revitalization. But there are a lot of green and pretty areas which surround the med school. And huge parks right nearby.

Culturally, I admit it is a bit lacking. But there are things to do here if you look, e.g. a jazz scene, salsa and whatever else you wanna do, esp if it's outdoors. And I doubt one can say Charlottesville is more happening than pgh. (and when you're studying for exams every 2 weeks, those attractions become more like distractions anyway.)

Research is technically NOT required at Pitt. They're instituting this "scholarly project" thing, which means it can be community service if you want, I think. That said, there is a subtle pressure for us to do some research. (You do with it what you will, of course.)

Bottom line comes to money. How much less debt will you have at UVA, and is that worth whatever you like better about pitt? I know nothing about UVA so I can't comment.

peace, good luck :)
~sunflower

Asheville, North Carolina is a dump? Are you out of your mind? That town has an awesome music scene and is located in one of the most beautiful regions in the country.

Same thing with Charlottesville in the Blueridge Mountains and the Shenandoah Valley.

I'd choose UVA. Beautiful campus, nicer winters, and better scenery.

ok, so like the other uva people i'm obviously biased. but seriously i'm going to be there. why would you NOT go there??? :D more seriously tho, they're both great schools. however uva is in-state, u have been waiting to get in so obviously you want to go there, the school is truely way too cool for its own good, etc etc (I won't write everything here for fear of taking up too much space). however, even tho my argument is for uva i kno a lil bout pitt, and i should say that it's a pretty good school. gluck with the decision.