Help w/ Calculus Problem: Kaplan Review #2

Started by Futbol99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Futbol99

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am doing the review problems in my 2013-2014 Kaplan Pre-Calculus and Calculus Chapter and I am stuck on #2, and I kind of feel there is a mistake in the question, so I need some insight please!

Question:
Line A is perpendicular to the line with equation y= -1/3X and the point is on line A. Which of the following is the equation of line A?
A) y= -1/3X + 4
B) y= 1/3x
C) y= 3x
D) y= 3x - 22

I originally thought the answer was C, but it was not. I have such a hard time trying to understand the solution for the second part of the problem. I understand how to get the slope but I didn't get the next part of the answer. (The Answer is D). The solution is saying "We also already know that line A goes through the point (6,-4). This part is REALLY frustrating me because I do not know where they pulled that number from and where it is coming from! I tried working backwards from the answer and I feel there was a mistake in this question. I'm a little rusty with math, so maybe it just went over my head.

Thanks for your time.
 
Assuming the question actually provided you with the coordinates (6, -4).
It's the point/slope equation:
Y - y1 = m(x-x1)
plug in the coordinates and slope
Y - (-4) = 3(x-6)
simplify: y + 4 = 3x - 18
y = 3x - 22
(D)
 
Assuming the question actually provided you with the coordinates (6, -4).
It's the point/slope equation:
Y - y1 = m(x-x1)
plug in the coordinates and slope
Y - (-4) = 3(x-6)
simplify: y + 4 = 3x - 18
y = 3x - 22
(D)
I know how to get the answer if the coordinates are given 😛
Im just wondering, ARE they given from that question? It was not given to me, so I had no way of knowing to get (6,-4). So I was asking if this was an error in the question or am I missing something from the question to interpret that as I dont know where that coordinate came from.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently reading this book myself for the Sep 5 PCAT and I've noticed tons of errors in this book. This question is definitely an error too since there's know way you could know b in y=mx+b if there were no coordinates provided in the question :shrug:
I wouldn't rely solely on just the Kaplan book for prep. I've got a Dr Collins hard copy coming in the mail and I'm also reviewing all my gen chem/ochem/calc/algebra/anatomy/physiology/biochem notes from old classes. Good luck
 
I'm currently reading this book myself for the Sep 5 PCAT and I've noticed tons of errors in this book. This question is definitely an error too since there's know way you could know b in y=mx+b if there were no coordinates provided in the question :shrug:
I wouldn't rely solely on just the Kaplan book for prep. I've got a Dr Collins hard copy coming in the mail and I'm also reviewing all my gen chem/ochem/calc/algebra/anatomy/physiology/biochem notes from old classes. Good luck
Same here man, i have Dr. Collins too that im using. The only problem is I find the "Content" on there reallllly light. Good thing I can still recall a ton of stuff to make me still use it but Kaplan sometimes covers things not in Collins and vice versa so Im just complementing them. I spent a good 15 mins just staring at the question, trying to give them the benefit of the doubt -_-. Good to know it has errors and I'm worried about missing other errors...