Help - What are some clinical research positions to get involved in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagotoFlorida!!

Reaction score
I have zero research of any kind throughout all of undergrad, but I am hoping to start a position in Spring seeing that its the only part of my app that is lacking.

The thing is, i am kind of clueless regarding positions in clinical research. I can't reach out to any of my professors because I am doing classes remotely with no way of returning to campus, and im graduating in December.

I guess im asking, what do I even Google? I looked up clinical research opportunities near me but it jsut gave me volunteering links for some centers. What positions do most pre-meds do? Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Most research that premedical students do is bench work. Clinical research is usually harder to find as a premed.

I'm not sure how accessible this is for premeds, but many medical students do research with physicians that is entirely remote. I found my currently position by just emailing some physicians at my med school in my specialty of interest, but I'm not sure if this is an option for premeds.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Most research that premedical students do is bench work. Clinical research is usually harder to find as a premed.

I'm not sure how accessible this is for premeds, but many medical students do research with physicians that is entirely remote. I found my currently position by just emailing some physicians at my med school in my specialty of interest, but I'm not sure if this is an option for premeds.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Will ADCOMS still view this as legitimate research experience? The remote thing specifically? Because I know they do not view virtual shadowing as real shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess im asking, what do I even Google? I looked up clinical research opportunities near me but it jsut gave me volunteering links for some centers. What positions do most pre-meds do? Any advice would be appreciated!

If your school has an academic hospital, sometimes they have summer clinical research programs that can segway into a more long-term position. If you look at your school's student job listings, a lot of clinical research labs will hire undergraduates to do data entry and housekeeping work, which could lead to your own project down the line. I really recommend just looking at student job postings and finding positions that are affiliated with your school's medical school/academic hospital (if they have one), and if you can't find anything, maybe even look at a local hospital in the area.

Reactions: 1 user
If your school has an academic hospital, sometimes they have summer clinical research programs that can segway into a more long-term position. If you look at your school's student job listings, a lot of clinical research labs will hire undergraduates to do data entry and housekeeping work, which could lead to your own project down the line. I really recommend just looking at student job postings and finding positions that are affiliated with your school's medical school/academic hospital (if they have one), and if you can't find anything, maybe even look at a local hospital in the area.

I think ill just have to look around for listings in my area because I don't live in my campus city anymore due to covid. Thank you very much!