Help - What do you ask on TY interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5twilight5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Fellow anesthesiology applicant but have a couple of transitional year interviews coming up. They will be my first ones. What can I expect them to ask and what questions should I ask? Thanks in advance! :bow:

Members don't see this ad.

Fellow anesthesiology applicant but have a couple of transitional year interviews coming up. They will be my first ones. What can I expect them to ask and what questions should I ask? Thanks in advance! :bow:

Your question is so broad as to be unanswerable. Please refine the topic.

well, they'll understand you aren't coming to them long term but will want to know that you're honest, smart, hard-working and well-adjusted. you'll want to know that you'll get a broad-based, intense, demanding experience, and that they don't treat their prelims like 2nd class citizens.

Members don't see this ad :)
just had a TY interview today. they didn't ask me a single question, well wait they asked me what i was applying for as my main specialty and that was it. then they talked about their program for a bit and asked if i had any questions. I am interested in Critical care so I asked them about their ICU. It was very laid back and it seemed like they didn't care who they got for 1 year as long as you weren't a total *****.

just had a TY interview today. they didn't ask me a single question, well wait they asked me what i was applying for as my main specialty and that was it. then they talked about their program for a bit and asked if i had any questions. I am interested in Critical care so I asked them about their ICU. It was very laid back and it seemed like they didn't care who they got for 1 year as long as you weren't a total *****.

Keep in mind that, at least for transitional years, you're competing w/ people going into derm, rads, and ophtho, specialties that typically attract people w/ board scores and qualifications quite a bit better than the average anesthesiology applicant. The standards might not be quite as low as it seemed. Best to have your game face on.