HELP: when to reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bm87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just looking for some advice regarding reapplying. First off, I applied to 15 med schools last year, and was not accepted anywhere. In fact, I did not even get interviewed. I graduated from college this past May (2006), and I am wondering if I should reapply again for 2007 admission, or wait and reapply next summer for 2008 admission. My application hasn't changed all that much since applying last time (GPA increased slightly). I took the MCATs for the 2nd time this past Saturday, and I don't feel like my scored improved much/at all. I am currently working as a research tech, and I simply don't know how long I should wait before reapplying. I haven't submitted AMCAS yet, and it's already August, so I feel like that in itself might hurt my chances. Should I hold off for now and apply next summer? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

MY STATS:

GPA: 3.46
MCAT: 30Q
Decent amount of research, volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

bm87 said:
Hello all,

I am just looking for some advice regarding reapplying. First off, I applied to 15 med schools last year, and was not accepted anywhere. In fact, I did not even get interviewed. I graduated from college this past May (2006), and I am wondering if I should reapply again for 2007 admission, or wait and reapply next summer for 2008 admission. My application hasn't changed all that much since applying last time (GPA increased slightly). I took the MCATs for the 2nd time this past Saturday, and I don't feel like my scored improved much/at all. I am currently working as a research tech, and I simply don't know how long I should wait before reapplying. I haven't submitted AMCAS yet, and it's already August, so I feel like that in itself might hurt my chances. Should I hold off for now and apply next summer? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

MY STATS:

That is remarkable that you did not get a single interview. Is there something else on your app that might send a red flag to admissions committees? Or did you only apply to top 20 schools? Also, is there a particular region of the country you want to stay in, and only applied to schools there? You have solid numbers, but it might be worth it (if you're not miserable in the town/job you have at the moment) to reapply this coming summer, just to make sure you're at the front of the pack. It's only about 9.5 months away, and you can get your ducks in order during that time. Good luck!

My advice, which I am currently taking, is to call up some of the schools you applied to (preferable those you would be interesting in attending in the future) and ask to speak to a dean or an advisor about what you would need to do to make yourself more attractive for the next round. I was told that med. schools do not want to look at the same exact application you put forward before....something's gotta change. I have already spoken to one person myself and found the advice offered to be very helpful. Good luck!

bm87 said:
Hello all,

MY STATS:

Members don't see this ad :)
bm87 said:
Hello all,

MY STATS:

YOu seem to have good stats. Did you apply to wide range of schools? Are you good at writing essays?

Does anyone know when early is? For instance, if i have the secondaries sent out in the first week of september?

I agree with the above-you can't possibly decide to reapply without knowing why you weren't a good candidate the first time around. For all you know, someone wrote you a bad letter of recommendation that really hurt you!
You might have to call a couple schools to get a meeting-admissions people prefer to counsel people who were interviewed and rejected. Keep trying though because their advice is invaluable.

Hello all,

MY STATS:

i'm freaking out now....ur stats are not that bad though...did u apply to MD schools only...ne DO schools?....if u dont mind...can i ask u which 15 schools did u apply to?...it will give me an idea abt my chances of getting into the school. :confused:

Hello there,

Thanks for all the feedback. To answer some of your questions, I am a NY resident, and applied mostly to NY schools. Some of the out-of-state schools I applied to were Loyola, Wake Forest, Jefferson, Drexel, and Boston U. Good luck with all your applications!