help with 2nd bachelors information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

first post, woot.

I am looking at doing a post-bacc, but not really too sure where to start.

I am 23, graduated from UCSD with a BS in psychology (3.23gpa) summer 2007. I have been working in fMRI research since fall 06 to now. All i have done since graduation is work at the fMRI lab, and another part time job. My original plan was to apply to psychology Ph.D. programs after I had obtained more research experience. I changed my mind.

My goal is to get into an osteopathic medical school.

I somehow managed to get through my undergraduate with no chem, bio, or physics, or any advanced sciences. i did take undergraduate non-science-major chem and bio (combined total of 8 quarter units... worthless).

the PI i am working for advised me to look into a post-baccalaureate program. I've narrowed it down to that I should be looking for "academic record enhancer" programs, right? Any advice for good schools? i was hoping to go to school in the CA bay area.

do i even have a shot? i was looking at SFSU and CSU-eastbay.

Members don't see this ad.

You need a garden variety postbac, structured or non, where you get the med school prereqs done. Then you take the MCAT.

If your GPA or MCAT is too low at that point, then you look at academic record enhancer programs. There are some of these that integrate the prereqs, but usually they require postbacs/MCAT to be done as entrance requirements.

If all you're interested in is DO, then 3.23 is in the ballpark. Don't drop any lower.

If you want to also look into MD, then 3.23 is not in the ballpark, definitely not in California. In this case, a second bachelors makes sense, or an SMP. I would not, in any case, plan on getting into a California state school from where you're starting.

The state school postbacs in California are primarly for underrepresented minorities. Compare state programs with Mills and Scripps.

At this point it would be appropriate for you to spreadsheet out your undergrad record. Calculate overall, science and non-science numbers. And then you can run projections for how much more coursework you need to get to a GPA goal.

Best of luck to you.