Help with a chem question

Started by CpharmAH1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CpharmAH1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many unpaired electrons are there for the element whose atomic number is 23?

a) 1

b) 3

c) 5

d) 7

I don't get the right answer I want to check with you guys to see if it's mistake, or i'm doing it wrong.thanks.😉
 
i just used the aufbau principle

1s
2s 2p
3s 3p 3d
4s 4p
5s

1s,2s,2p,3s,3p,4s,3d

since 1s --> 4s = 20 electrons, there's only 3 left for 3d

3d would be:

| | | __ __ __

edit: i'm such an idiot...i meant B (3 unpaired electrons) not C haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Aufbau's as nerv12345 said, plus Hund's rule.

I don't ever draw it out like that for electron configuration, I find it easier to just use the shape of the periodic table. Unfortunately, you wouldn't have a periodic table for the test.
 
it's not asking you how many are needed to be filled it's asking you how many UNPAIRED electrons are there

Ya I got you, but for some reason I though 7 since thats how many were left to fill it out. I need to read stuff more carefully.