Help with a list of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bromination

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background:

KS resident

3.64 cGPA - 3.85 sGPA - transferred to state school from a community college when I figured out this is what I wanted to do. Transferred in with a not so hot GPA (3.17). Have a strong upward trend at the University (3.9 GPA over 3 years). I have a few W's on my community college transcript.

Degree: Cell and Molecular Biology, Chemistry minor

MCAT - take it this spring.

EC's
-2 years clinical experience ( 6 months ED volunteer, 1.5 years working in the same ER as a tech)
-Physician Shadowing : about 40 hrs (not sure if I should do more?)
-1 Year Undergraduate research experience (great chance at a publication very soon)
-Over 2 years as a Big Brother in Big Bros Big Sis
-2 years college athlete (at community college)
-Worked at Hitting clinics for kids with some MLB players for a couple of semesters.
- All the other usual stuff: organization, awards, etc.

Ok, IF I can pull a 32+ on the MCAT, what schools should I apply to? (I know a score like 32 cannot be assumed, but that is my goal)

I thought about applying EDP to my state school, but is this too risky?
Do I have any shot at upper tier schools?
My wife and I are down to move anywhere, so If you could please help me out with a list of schools that'd be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a decent GPA with an upward trend, which should help out with the lower GPA freshman year. You have decent EC's, I would continue to work on volunteering...and also trying doing some work with disadvantaged or underrepresented populations as well. The only KS medical school I know off is University of Kansas, so I do not know of others, but apply to all the middle and lower tier for sure. If you get a 32/3.7ish GPA you are in pretty good shape and should get an acceptance somewhere. In terms of upper tier like JH, WashU, harvard, UCSF....if you have the money go ahead an apply, but chances are slim at those schools with a 32. You really need to wow them...like 35+ MCAT, 3.9ish GPA, but I wouldn't count you out either.

You can gauge your chances (with multiple MCAT score scenarios) with the "medical school selector" link stickied at the top of this forum.

Applying Early Decision is not a good idea unless you refuse to move out of your area due to a spouse's job or other family issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can gauge your chances (with multiple MCAT score scenarios) with the "medical school selector" link stickied at the top of this forum.

Applying Early Decision is not a good idea unless you refuse to move out of your area due to a spouse's job or other family issues.

I tested the selector out and it worked a little...oddly. I put in a perfect MCAT and 4.0 GPA and said I might not be able to get into alot of schools. Weird? :boom:

LOL. Those must be the schools that won't accept folks with a vivid fantasy life. Seriously, though, PM the author of the spreadsheet and ask him about that.