Help with a school list (where am I a good applicant if anywhere at all?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabriella Glia

Reaction score
I am trying to construct a medical school list for this upcoming application cycle. I really just want to go to UNC Chapel Hill, but given I will likely still be OOS it is near impossible. I will update my MCAT once I take it in April, but my stats include:

MCAT: April 2021, shooting for 518-520
School: UNC (transferred from UF after first year)
Status: Florida resident, though I am busting my butt to try to establish NC residency before June- hence all the jobs I am paying everything myself
Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.79
Major/Minors: Neurscience major, Biology and Chemistry double minors (RIGOROUS course load with 17-18 hours per semester, this is the first semester I've dropped down to 15 to study for the MCAT)

Major Extracurriculars
Volunteer: roughly 450 hours total
- Rock Steady Boxing for Parkinson's disease: 4 years with them when I am in FL, 300 of my hours
- Various events with the American Cancer Society

Non clinical paid work (however healthcare business administration): 4000 hours
- FYZICAL Therapy and Balance, I began in one little office in 2017 and have since worked my way up to corporate HQ, I have extensive knowledge of healthcare business admin (billing and coding, clinic staffing and equipment, legal components). I will have a rec letter from the president of operations and the CFO.
- Waitress job to pay the OOS bills- I am learning Spanish in the process as well

Clinical paid work: 500 hours
- UNC Neurosurgery, I started here in August 2020 and I have had some great opportunities with the neurosurgeons, I should have some good rec letters here too.

Physician shadowing: 220 hours (170 virtual due to COVID)
- Lenox Hill BrainTERNS 170 hours
- Surgical observation 50 hours

Research: 100 (or 150) hours
- I was in a glioblastoma lab for 3 months before it got shut down
- A concussion rehabilitation continuing education course I helped build
- A cadaver lab I am running on Monday nights for the neurosurgeons- if that counts as research as it is practice of endoscopic neurosurgical techniques? This would add roughly 50 hours

Other clubs/leadership: roughly 100 hours

Weaknesses:
Research and volunteer experience

Strengths:
Strong/heavy course load
Atypical applicant imo
Really good connections at UNC
Really good rec letters

Notes:
I know I am not a super strong applicant, and I am terrified. But I also think I have two things going for me: unique work experience/knowledge as well as a strong focus on neuro and neurosurgery. I just don't know if standing out in this sense will be enough to compensate? In addition, I am starting on a research project with one of the neurosurgeons this semester which will be ongoing and the plan is to have 3 publications by August. At that point it will be too late but for secondaries and letters of interest it could help me, I just need to get through round 1.

I appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your activities and GPA look great but without an MCAT it's hard to gauge your chances. So update us once you have your score.