• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Help with AMCAS School List? Nontrad with mediocre GPA, high MCAT

futbol412

Jun 16, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
MCAT: 524 (130, 132, 130, 132)
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.5

Majors: Biochemistry and Latin American Studies

Postgrad “employment”:
  • 1 year Princeton in ___ Fellowship (don’t want to say what region to remain anonymous)
  • Teach for America: I am working 1 additional year at this school this year (so 3 years total)
EC: D1 Sport (3000 hours)

Leadership: 2 leadership positions (250 hours)

Nonclinical volunteering: (1500+ hours in all) tutoring, mentoring, coaching at risk youth over the course of 6 years (this includes college, summers, and postgrad at my TFA school)
I divided these into a few separate “activities” on AMCAS. I didn’t include any projected hours (which would be around 300, 10 hours/wk) because most of my volunteer hours are at my school and I am unsure if they will be able to happen next year due to COVID-19...should I include them?

Clinical Volunteering: (450 hours total): 350 hours volunteering as an interpreter at 2 free clinics, 100 hours volunteering in a community health initiative

Shadowing: definitely a weakness- only 10 hours shadowing a primary care doc, and 70 in gynecology and pediatrics in the country I grew up in (I know this won’t really count because it’s not the US medical system).

Research: 4 projects (650 hours)→ 2 in Latin American Studies, 1 in Biochem, 1 in Public Health (only 1 poster, no productivity)

Letters of Rec: very strong letter of recommendation from my Vice Principal at TFA school and 1 grad school teacher; unfortunately my other ones might not be so great as I have been out of college 3 years now and wasn’t thinking about pre-med back then plus I got a bunch of B's in my science classes:(

Other: I am bilingual (fluent in Spanish and have a native accent- my schooling was 100% in Spanish)

Demographics: white, US and Mexican citizen, not disadvantaged

I am a TX resident because that is where I did TFA. Otherwise I don’t really have a “home” state since I didn’t grow up here… I will definitely be applying through TMDSAS (haven’t submitted yet, yikes), but I am open to going anywhere in the US that accepts me (my MCAT expires after this cycle!).

What schools should I apply to through AMCAS with my GPA? What should my reach schools be? Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:
About the Ads

pdl2015

7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2014
  1. Medical Student
So long as you interview well, I'd be surprised if you didn't match somewhere in Texas, especially PLFSOM, UTRGV, or Long. Do you know any healthcare providers that could write you a letter? Many schools allow non-trads to sub out an academic letter for a recent employer (or in your case, your TFA VP).

Get your TMDSAS app in asap. Worry about AMCAS later.

futbol412

Jun 16, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
So long as you interview well, I'd be surprised if you didn't match somewhere in Texas, especially PLFSOM, UTRGV, or Long. Do you know any healthcare providers that could write you a letter? Many schools allow non-trads to sub out an academic letter for a recent employer (or in your case, your TFA VP).

Get your TMDSAS app in asap. Worry about AMCAS later.
I'm getting a committee letter "packet", and they require 2 science professors from my university so I had to ask for them unfortunately. Maybe I shouldn't have gone that route, but I guess it's too late now...I was planning on submitting the 24th. Is that a good date?

And I'm very interested in PLFSOM because my siblings still live a relatively short (to me lol) drive away in Mexico! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

pdl2015

7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2014
  1. Medical Student
I'm getting a committee letter "packet", and they require 2 science professors from my university so I had to ask for them unfortunately. Maybe I shouldn't have gone that route, but I guess it's too late now...I was planning on submitting the 24th. Is that a good date?

And I'm very interested in PLFSOM because my siblings still live a relatively short (to me lol) drive away in Mexico! Thanks!

You should be fine submitting the 24th. Find the secondaries on the school specific threads and start writing them as soon as you submit your TMDSAS. It'll take a few weeks to process, and ideally you'll have your secondaries submitted by August.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.