Help with beginner's questions!

Started by Seeker5
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Seeker5

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am new to PCAT and have a couple of questions that I hope someone is able to answer. Please don't be so mean if I ask some unintelligent questions. 🙂
1. What prerequisite classes (chem I & II, organic I & II, biology I & II) should I finish to before I start practicing PCAT? I'm not sure what materials PCAT will cover up to.
2. Can anyone also recommends me which practicing materials like the one from Kaplan, Baron, online classes, etc... that will best prepare me for PCAT?
3. Do Pharmacy schools use the highest composite score of your PCAT regardless of the number of times that you took the test, or do they use different scales?

I might have additional questions later that are not found on PCAT Faq thread. It's also welcoming for anyone to ask questions here so that I will be able to learn as well.

Thanks 🙂
 
i can answer all your questions. However i believe it will be more beneficial to you to find them yourself. SEARCH the forums, you'll learn a lot....
 
I am new to PCAT and have a couple of questions that I hope someone is able to answer. Please don't be so mean if I ask some unintelligent questions. 🙂
1. What prerequisite classes (chem I & II, organic I & II, biology I & II) should I finish to before I start practicing PCAT? I'm not sure what materials PCAT will cover up to.
2. Can anyone also recommends me which practicing materials like the one from Kaplan, Baron, online classes, etc... that will best prepare me for PCAT?
3. Do Pharmacy schools use the highest composite score of your PCAT regardless of the number of times that you took the test, or do they use different scales?

I might have additional questions later that are not found on PCAT Faq thread. It's also welcoming for anyone to ask questions here so that I will be able to learn as well.

Thanks 🙂

1) The most important classes to take before you sit for the PCAT are:
Chem I&II
Org Chem I
Bio I&II
Precalc
Calculus I

I took it last month and I am only half way through Org I and Bio II...so once January hits I will be through the important classes and I will have had somewhat of a practice PCAT to get an idea of what is on there. You can start practicing whenever you want, but it would be harder with out a little chem and bio. The things you learn in your prereqs will prepare you for the exam, so pay attention and learn that stuff mostly.

2.) I have a ton but I still can't say which was more helpful...I always hear Kaplan is great for Biology. ExamKrackers MCAT books are less painful to learn with and probably more than you need - but that isn't really a bad thing. The online practice tests through Harcourt (I think...its the official PCAT practice test from the PCAT website) - those are supposed to be a really good indicator of what the exam is like.

3) Check with your school, but I think (in general) they look at your highest score and don't care how many times you took it...take it as much as you can!


I really liked having the October PCAT to get an idea of what to expect. Its really scary to not know what to expect...but now that I do know what to expect, I think it will help me to zero in on what I need to study in order to be more successful next time.
 
1) The most important classes to take before you sit for the PCAT are:
Chem I&II
Org Chem I
Bio I&II
Precalc
Calculus I

I took it last month and I am only half way through Org I and Bio II...so once January hits I will be through the important classes and I will have had somewhat of a practice PCAT to get an idea of what is on there. You can start practicing whenever you want, but it would be harder with out a little chem and bio. The things you learn in your prereqs will prepare you for the exam, so pay attention and learn that stuff mostly.

2.) I have a ton but I still can't say which was more helpful...I always hear Kaplan is great for Biology. ExamKrackers MCAT books are less painful to learn with and probably more than you need - but that isn't really a bad thing. The online practice tests through Harcourt (I think...its the official PCAT practice test from the PCAT website) - those are supposed to be a really good indicator of what the exam is like.

3) Check with your school, but I think (in general) they look at your highest score and don't care how many times you took it...take it as much as you can!


I really liked having the October PCAT to get an idea of what to expect. Its really scary to not know what to expect...but now that I do know what to expect, I think it will help me to zero in on what I need to study in order to be more successful next time.

Thank you for your response. I think I know a little more of what PCAT might cover.
Is it a good idea to take BIO I and Organic I at the same time during the summer? I heard Organic should be taken by itself in order to concentrate more in that course. If it's possible, I want to take Organic II and Bio II after the summer that I took Organic I, which is in the fall.
 
I think Organic I and Bio I in the summer together sounds INSANE. I took Organic I and Bio II this semester along with working 2 jobs and it really took a toll on me. I ended up having to W from them all because I kept getting sick. I will say that I already have some chronic health problems which gives me a disadvantage, but summer being so compacted is definitely a disadvantage as well. I wouldn't advise you to take both over the summer...maybe in spring or fall if you aren't working too much. Summer would be very challenging to do well in both of those.