Help with CA License

Started by cognitus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cognitus

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a non-traditional candidate that is almost done with anesthesiology residency. Long story short, I left medicine over 10 years ago to try another career, but after completing intern year AND passing all the USMLE steps. I returned to medicine and matched into an anesthesiology residency 4 years ago, and here I am today. I'm currently looking to work in private practice in California. Signed a contract with a private practice. However, the medical board of California said my USMLE tests expired since I passed them over 10 years ago. I would have to take the Special Purpose Examination (SPEX), which is $1300 and involves studying material I didn't anticipate.

According to their rules, the USMLE expiration date can be extended due to time spent in residency and/or "Good cause". They added 4 years to the expiration date (because of 4 years in residency), but because I started my anesthesia residency AFTER my scores expired, this doesn't help. So now I'm left with "good cause." I am currently drafting a letter to support my case. Does anyone know what I can include in the letter to support my case for "good cause?" I've done well on the ITE (at least 75th percentile for CA-0,1,2 years) and I passed my basic. Any advice will be helpful. I want to avoid taking the SPEX
 
I think you're toast, sorry. Re-read the statute, says for good cause AND residency, on and on to include other training and/or license in another state, not ambiguous at all.