help with calc Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

waterloowannabe

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey

This q is:

Given the equation (y^2)-2x+3 = 0, find dy/dx
What I did was solve for y and then differentiate to get
y' = 1/((2x-3)^(1/2))

the actual answer was 1/y and they used implicit differentiation to get it..
but why is my answer wrong?
Or is there a way to get 1/y using my method?

Thanks!
 
ok, I figured it out
( I would have deleted the thread, but I dont know how to do it )

when you solve for y, you get y = (2x-3)^(0.5)

just sub that into the anwer I got for the derivative, and you get 1/y

thanks