Help with cold calling

Started by EM6771
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EM6771

Resident
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A little background. I am a PGY-2 now and starting to think about jobs. I have narrowed my search to 3 cities (1 local and 2 in a different part of the country). I have done a google search and found all the EDs within a reasonable commute from where I would want to live. I figured I would cold-call the directors and inform them of my interest as well as sending a resume/cover letter.

Now my questions are about the order in which these are typically done. At what point should I find out more about the department/contract? Is this typically during the initial call or should I just be informing them that I am sending a resume? What do you say when you cold-call? Is there any way to find out if these EDs are staffed by a contract mgmt group vs small group vs hospital employees prior to calling? I have checked out websites of hospitals and this info typically is not readily available.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
 
I got my current job (and a handful of offers) by cold-calling. I started by mailing a cover letter (that briefly highlighted my goals and strengths) and my CV. I would not ask any questions during the first contact unless they express interest and ask you if you have any questions. Even if they open the floor to questions, I suggest you stick to soft balls initially (what's your volume/coverage, what do you like most about the job, etc sorta stuff). Save questions like salary, attrition rates, holiday scheduling, partnership track for the interview.

Just my 2 cents.
 
Check the big websites (Teamhealth, EMCare, ECI, Schumacher, ESP, etc) and see if they are heavy in that market... That could give you a clue if the job you are looking at is owned by one of the aboves.

If you dont get anywhere calling the first time.. try back at 4-5AM. Night shift tends to be more laid back and perhaps easier to get through to a doc since it tends to be less going on at that time too. I would try during normal type hours first; many directors are in house during normal hours at busy places....

Good Luck..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you dont get anywhere calling the first time.. try back at 4-5AM. Night shift tends to be more laid back and perhaps easier to get through to a doc since it tends to be less going on at that time too.

I'm not sure that at a single-coverage shop on the overnight I'd be too thrilled getting a cold-call from a resident looking for job info.