help with deciding on programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starkid

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I wish I had found this site sooner. I have gone through almost all the discussions and its helped me a lot, but I still need advice.

I am a computer science and math dual major with an additional minor. I will be graduating with a BS in 2 weeks. I currently have a 3.5 and will most likely be graduating with the same gpa. My problem is: I dont know which programs to apply to.

I sent out: Columbia, Bryn Mawr, U Miami. I will mostly be sending apps out to: CUNY (I'm a NY state resident) and U Penn. I was planning on applying to Stony and NYU but Ive read bad posts about them so I'm not entirely sure anymore. Stony isn't a formal program which is holding me back and NYU... I dont know. Does anyone know of other programs I should apply to? Should I apply to NYU? Is anyone familiar with the Yale postbac program? I have strong recommendations and I've done independent studies in psych and math/cs. I've had a tough time in the upper level math classes which is the primary reason for my low gpa.

Also, for the prereqs... I've taken Physics I, II, Calculus I,II and currently taking 2 English classes. I need to take a year of: Chem, Bio, and Orgo. I was thinking of taking Chem this summer at a SUNY by my house because its cheaper and then enrolling into a formal program this fall if I don't get into Columbia starting this summer. I know a lot of programs wont accept you if you've taken too many prereqs... should I not take Chem I,II this summer? If I take Chem I,II this summer, and take bio and orgo next fall/spring, should I take the MCATs in April? If I take it in April, when do I apply for med school? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just utterly lost and don't have anyone to ask. I go to a tech school and the "med staff" isn't exactly helpful.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance. Any input/advice/thoughts would be nice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Starkid,

Welcome to SDN!

First off, you don't need to worry so much. A lot of the post-bacc programs aren't that hard to get into, they are harder to STAY in. A 3.5 GPA isn't low and I can almost guarantee that you will get into Columbia with that (although I am from the era of the old Columbia administration). Anyway, I doubt that you had to apply to so many programs.

I guess one of the questions I have is, why a formal program? If you want to do Chem over the summer at a SUNY anyway, why not just take all the classes you need there? It would definitely be cheaper.

As far as your timing questions, taking Chem this summer would allow you to take bio and orgo next year. You would then take the April MCAT (no, you wouldn't be done with your classes yet, but most post-baccs do this) and apply that summer. You could also choose to take the August MCAT instead and just apply a little later. So actually you can be done in a year, which is shorter than usual. As for "disqualifying" yourself for a post-bacc by taking chem this summer, I would imagine that you will know if you are accepted or not pretty soon and you can just ask the post-bacc programs you are interested in. I think that you actually take chem over the first summer at Bryn Mawr anyway as part of the program.

Good luck and take a deep breath!

Thank you for the reply Wednesday. :)
I would've applied to all my postbac programs for the summer except that a lot of programs wont even review your application unless you have a degree. Since I will be receiving it in the middle of May and most summer postbac deadlines are April 1, I couldn't even apply.

I want to do a formal program at a prestigious institute because I want the recommendation and because I feel I can do well. I did the minimal amount of work the past 4 years due to the lack of interst in the subject matters.

Considering you've gone through the program, have you been satisified with your education at Columbia?

Members don't see this ad :)
"I would've applied to all my postbac programs for the summer except that a lot of programs wont even review your application unless you have a degree. Since I will be receiving it in the middle of May and most summer postbac deadlines are April 1, I couldn't even apply."

Hi there,

I am currently an undergrad at USC and I applied to Columbia and was accepted this last spring semester. So actually, if you don't have your degree yet that's ok, as long as you're getting it before you start your post-bac. I am actually graduating May 14 and starting at Columbia May 24! Eek! But there's not time to waste! :)

Thanks for the response kittieruby. Congrats on your acceptance. :) Do you know how long it took to receive a response from them?