Help with dilemma? Taking classes at local university vs. full postbac program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDMack

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, SDNers. First-time re-applicant who is trying to figure out whether it would be better to DIY my application improvement or to apply for a postbac program. Appreciate any advice you can offer!

My med school application story so far:

Nuts and bolts -
cGPA: 3.51
(upward trend: 3.3/2.96 Freshman&Sophomore, 3.84/3.83 Junior&Senior)
sGPA: 3.28 (upward trend: 2.67/2.50 Freshman&Sophomore, 3.75/3.78 Junior&Senior)
MCAT April 2016: 512 [Chem/Phys: 127 (79%), CARS: 128 (90%), Bio: 130 (97%), Psych/Soc: 127 (78%)]
  • As an undergrad, I had to work long hours to help finance my tuition, meaning there was little time leftover after work and classes for volunteering, shadowing, and other extracurricular activities. I also struggled academically in my freshman and sophomore years due to mental health issues. After getting clinically diagnosed/treated for depression and anxiety, I was better able to focus on classes and balance work, which led to significant improvements in my GPA junior and senior years.
  • Despite improvements, I was still spread thin during my final semester of college, when I worked 12 hours a week, overloaded on classes to finish 2 degrees, took the MCAT, prepared for graduation, applied for post-grad jobs, and moved to a new apartment. As you can probably guess, that went over super well (hah). I was thankfully able to graduate on time in 2016, but in the "something's gotta give" struggle, my medical school application took backseat. I managed a sort of hail Mary application with whatever time I had - cobbling things together last minute, closing my eyes while pressing the submit button, and praying for dear life. 0/10 would not recommend this approach, but did the best with what I had.
  • Took a gap year working full-time as a clinical research coordinator at a nonprofit research organization as I applied for the 2016-2017 cycle.
  • For the 2016-2017 cycle, applied to 19 MD programs (17 AMCAS – 9 private, 8 public; 2 TMDSAS – both public) and was offered one interview by my state university, but ultimately rejected.
  • Met with my undergraduate pre-med adviser and an admissions committee member from my state medical school for exit interviews. They both noted the following weaknesses in my application: borderline GPA and limited clinical experience.
1.5 yrs later since that final rejection, I am now married and continue working full-time as a clinical research coordinator. I feel like I have finally gotten my feet under me and am ready to begin making major changes to improve my application and apply for the 2020-2021 cycle. Nervous, a little stressed, but mostly just excited to pursue my dream of becoming a physician once more. My crash landing into adulthood has been a huge growth opportunity, and, though I would never have imagined saying this before my first application or even during the rough season of rejections... I am so grateful for this time to "pause", take stock, gain real-world working/independent living experience, enjoy life outside of the medical school track, and build healthy habits. These challenges have prepared me to walk into the next application cycle more resilient, confident, and better able to handle the potential demands of medical school. Through the setbacks, my desire to become a physician has been reaffirmed time and time again - I still cannot imagine a more fulfilling or meaningful career path.

All that said, I am now trying to determine the best approach for improving my application. Generally, I am planning to find a new job as a medical scribe in order to gain more direct patient and clinical experience, to start volunteering again, take classes to improve my GPA, and re-take the MCAT (since my scores will expire next year). My husband is hugely supportive, but he is also in his 2nd year of his PhD and has demanding schooling/research requirements, so that is a factor as well.

With this in mind, do you think it would be possible to do everything on my own and balance full-time medical scribing, part-time classes at my state university, volunteering, self-studying for and retaking the MCAT, and applying to medical school once again?

Or would it be better to have the structure and community support of a postbac program?

Thanks again for your time and help! Best of luck to any fellow re-applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your story is really similar to mine. I am doing all of the things you are planning to do, expect I did not study/retake the MCAT. I think it is manageable but really make sure you prioritize your MCAT studying and classwork. It is much more important to get that work done than working an extra shift or two as a scribe.

I think you can focus on doing a DIY post-bac and/or part time classes at your state university rather than a true postbacc program. Your GPA isn't lethal and you have a strong upward trend, so 20-30 more credits of strong coursework should hopefully solidify you as a candidate.

Also, you should think about applying DO as well. I feel a lot more confident this cycle because of my DO applications (1 MD, 2 DO II so far)

If you want an MD go to an SMP. If you are ok with the DO route then stay the course.