Help with dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toidalente

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've been a tech for 4 years at the three-letter chain, and I am moving into a new state for pharmacy school. I am going to first apply for hospital positions. My question though is whether I should stay in my current retail system and work because of the benefits I've accrued or try to find a opportunity like Costco, Sam's Club, or independent to get experience in a different retail setting and establish connections? In other words, would loyalty (who knows how they really treat it, given the current conditions they put us in) serve a student better than getting more involved in other pharmacies and meeting people who can help you out in the future. Does anyone have stories to share about how going one way or the other benefited or hurt their opportunities? Doing both seems out of the question because of conflict of interest, so I will have to choose one option.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I've been a tech for 4 years at the three-letter chain, and I am moving into a new state for pharmacy school. I am going to first apply for hospital positions. My question though is whether I should stay in my current retail system and work because of the benefits I've accrued or try to find a opportunity like Costco, Sam's Club, or independent to get experience in a different retail setting and establish connections? In other words, would loyalty (who knows how they really treat it, given the current conditions they put us in) serve a student better than getting more involved in other pharmacies and meeting people who can help you out in the future. Does anyone have stories to share about how going one way or the other benefited or hurt their opportunities? Doing both seems out of the question because of conflict of interest, so I will have to choose one option.

You should transfer to a store near your school if you can. You should work there a few hours a week until you get a hospital job. Once you have the job, work both until you get a feel for which is better. If you like hospital, quit the retail job. If you don't like the hospital, you can take a leave of absence from the three letter store and work for another retailer. While on LOA, you can decide which retailer offer the most to you. If you like your new retail gig resign your present position and stick with what you have.

Reactions: 1 user
You should transfer to a store near your school if you can. You should work there a few hours a week until you get a hospital job. Once you have the job, work both until you get a feel for which is better. If you like hospital, quit the retail job. If you don't like the hospital, you can take a leave of absence from the three letter store and work for another retailer. While on LOA, you can decide which retailer offer the most to you. If you like your new retail gig resign your present position and stick with what you have.

Great plan. Thank you very much.