Help with DO school list and chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarkWatney

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I'm reposting this from the "what are my chances" forum because it got no movement there and I'm hoping someone here would be willing to help me out!
I just wanted to get other opinions of my school list and chances of getting into DO school!

Re-applying for MD but first time applying for DO this year.

ORM
State of Residence: California
cGPA: 3.6 upward trend junior and senior years
sGPA 3.7
MCAT: ~508

ECs:
Clinical volunteer:
One year service program living in Southwest Baltimore: ~1760 hours as a patient liaison and advocate. Serving and living in an extremely impoverished neighborhood.
Hospital Volunteer: Patient transport duties ~150 hours

Nonclincial Work:
Service org: ~300 hours in total serving the greater Los Angeles community. A lot of exposure to underserved populations.
Operations Assistant: ~500 hours. Full time summer job. Set up events and other needed amenities on campus.
Biological honor society
Dean's List
Preprofessional prehealth honor society
Basketball Coach
: Young athletes from ages 6- 16, all ethnicities.

Shadowing:
PhysMed/Rehab Doctor ~300 hours during the summer - also performed scribe duties
Various departments: ~50 hours total

Nationally Registered EMT

Research:
Tropical Ecology research: Traveled to Mexico to perform ecological research based on cattle impact of reforestation efforts. Had a research symposium presentation on this research
Chemistry Research: Analyzed anthocyanins in red wine and applied the analysis to predict different UV-vis spectra of various anthocyanin molecules

Current DO school list:
CCOM
TCOM - Nevada
TCOM - California
KCU
LUCOM
RVCOM
DMU
Rowan
NYITCOM
MSUCOM
AZCOM
PNWCOM
Western - Pomona
LECOM
Oklahoma State

Thanks for any help y'all can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, so I am strictly regurgitating what has been commented on my own personal feeds and within other feeds from SDN members, but the consensus has been pretty unanimous:
NYITCOM, MSUCOM, Oklahoma State, PNWU, and RVCOM all have very heavy instate or regional preferences. Some reportedly on the upper end of 75-90%. I believe you to have competitive scores for DO school and couldn't imaging you wouldn't get in somewhere, but the regional bias is something to at least consider when applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, so I am strictly regurgitating what has been commented on my own personal feeds and within other feeds from SDN members, but the consensus has been pretty unanimous:
NYITCOM, MSUCOM, Oklahoma State, PNWU, and RVCOM all have very heavy instate or regional preferences. Some reportedly on the upper end of 75-90%. I believe you to have competitive scores for DO school and couldn't imaging you wouldn't get in somewhere, but the regional bias is something to at least consider when applying.

Okay, awesome.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll do a bit more research on how instate heavy each of those schools are and make updates if the bias seems too high!

Members don't see this ad :)
Save your money and don't apply to Oklahoma or Michigan State unless you have connections to those states. Can't speak on NYITCOM. Otherwise you're golden for all other DO schools.

Save your money and don't apply to Oklahoma or Michigan State unless you have connections to those states. Can't speak on NYITCOM. Otherwise you're golden for all other DO schools.
Thank you for the insight!
I know MSU has the outrageous tuition and also Larry Nassar, so I was already on the fence about it, probably going to scratch it off.

Hi, so I'm reposting this from the "what are my chances" forum because it got no movement there and I'm hoping someone here would be willing to help me out!
I just wanted to get other opinions of my school list and chances of getting into DO school!

Echoing what has been said already but Rowan was left out of the discussion. They also have a heavy instate bias with 85-90% of acceptances coming from NJ over the past two years. They obviously do accept OOS students but heir emphasis has been on NJ applicants.

PCOM (Philly) has a slight bias towards PA applicants but definitely is a school to consider adding to your list. Good Luck!

ORM: Asian/Taiwanese
cGPA: 3.67 upward trend my junior and senior years
sGPA 3.73
MCAT: 508

ECs:
Clinical volunteer:
One year service program living in Southwest Baltimore: ~1760 hours as a patient liaison and advocate. Serving and living in an extremely impoverished neighborhood.
UCLA Ronald Reagan Volunteer: Patient transport duties ~150 hours

Nonclincial Work:
Service org during undergraduate studies. ~300 hours in total serving the greater Los Angeles community. A lot of exposure to underserved populations.
Operations Assistant: ~490 hours. Full time summer job. Set up events and other needed amenities on campus.
Tri-Beta: Biological honor society
Dean's List
AED: Preprofessional prehealth honor society
Basketball Coach

Shadowing:
PhysMed/Rehab Doctor ~300 hours during the summer - also performed scribe duties
OR cases ~10 hours - saw a total knee (it was awesome, but loooong)
Emergency Department ~10 hours
DO doctor ~10 hours in clinic - endocrinologist
ICU doctor ~15 hours

Nationally Registered EMT - did not work as an EMT, because of the time frame of going to Baltimore, but got the training and am registered as one.

Research:
Tropical Ecology research: Traveled to Mexico to perform ecological research based on cattle impact of reforestation efforts. Had a research symposium presentation on this research
Chemistry Research: Analyzed anthocyanins in red wine and applied the analysis to predict different UV-vis spectra of various anthocyanin molecules

Current DO school list:
CCOM
TCOM - Nevada
TCOM - California
KCU
LUCOM
RVCOM
DMU
Rowan
NYITCOM
MSUCOM
AZCOM
PNWCOM
Western - Pomona
LECOM
Oklahoma State

ORM
cGPA: 3.6 upward trend junior and senior years
sGPA 3.7
MCAT: ~508

ECs:
Clinical volunteer:
Hospital Volunteer: Patient transport duties ~150 hours

Nonclincial Work:
Service org: ~300 hours in total serving the greater Los Angeles community. A lot of exposure to underserved populations.
Operations Assistant: ~500 hours. Full time summer job. Set up events and other needed amenities on campus.
Biological honor society
Dean's List
Preprofessional prehealth honor society
Basketball Coach

Shadowing:
Various departments: ~50 hours total

Nationally Registered EMT

Research:

Current DO school list:
CCOM
TCOM - Nevada
TCOM - California
KCU
LUCOM
RVCOM
DMU
Rowan
NYITCOM
MSUCOM
AZCOM
PNWCOM
Western - Pomona
LECOM
Oklahoma State

throw out LUCOM, keep NYITCOM (they love stats and admissions reps told me last year they want good stats and want to recruit more nationally due to merger). If you need to save money, throw out MSUCOM and OK State (both awesome schools!). I'd keep them in there if money isn't an issue b/c you really never know, and your stats would warrant you a competitive OOS applicant for both programs. Also surprised why you don't have PCOM on that list.

Lastly, it's all going to come down to interview skills, so brush up! Use the SDN feature that let's you see old interview questions (Western - Pomona uses the same exact questions, unless they decide to change this year).

throw out LUCOM, keep NYITCOM (they love stats and admissions reps told me last year they want good stats and want to recruit more nationally due to merger). If you need to save money, throw out MSUCOM and OK State (both awesome schools!). I'd keep them in there if money isn't an issue b/c you really never know, and your stats would warrant you a competitive OOS applicant for both programs. Also surprised why you don't have PCOM on that list.

Lastly, it's all going to come down to interview skills, so brush up! Use the SDN feature that let's you see old interview questions (Western - Pomona uses the same exact questions, unless they decide to change this year).

Thank you so much for the tips!!
I don't have PCOM because their website states that they don't take MCAT scores that are taken before August 2016.

Last edited: