Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Help with DO school list and chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by MarkWatney, May 17, 2018 at 8:10 AM.

1. MarkWatney

Pre-Medical
    Hi, so I'm reposting this from the "what are my chances" forum because it got no movement there and I'm hoping someone here would be willing to help me out!
    I just wanted to get other opinions of my school list and chances of getting into DO school!

Re-applying for MD but first time applying for DO this year.

ORM: Asian/Taiwanese
    State of Residence: California
    cGPA: 3.67 upward trend my junior and senior years
    sGPA 3.73
    MCAT: 508

ECs:
    Clinical volunteer:
    One year service program living in Southwest Baltimore: ~1760 hours as a patient liaison and advocate. Serving and living in an extremely impoverished neighborhood.
    UCLA Ronald Reagan Volunteer: Patient transport duties ~150 hours

Nonclincial Work:
    Service org during undergraduate studies. ~300 hours in total serving the greater Los Angeles community. A lot of exposure to underserved populations.
    Operations Assistant: ~490 hours. Full time summer job. Set up events and other needed amenities on campus.
    Tri-Beta: Biological honor society
    Dean's List
    AED: Preprofessional prehealth honor society
    Basketball Coach
    : Young athletes from ages 6- 16, all ethnicities.

Shadowing:
    PhysMed/Rehab Doctor ~300 hours during the summer - also performed scribe duties
    OR cases ~10 hours - saw a total knee (it was awesome, but loooong)
    Emergency Department ~10 hours
    DO doctor ~10 hours in clinic - endocrinologist
    ICU doctor ~15 hours

Nationally Registered EMT - did not work as an EMT, because of the time frame of going to Baltimore, but got the training and am registered as one.

Research:
    Tropical Ecology research: Traveled to Mexico to perform ecological research based on cattle impact of reforestation efforts. Had a research symposium presentation on this research
    Chemistry Research: Analyzed anthocyanins in red wine and applied the analysis to predict different UV-vis spectra of various anthocyanin molecules

Current DO school list:
    CCOM
    TCOM - Nevada
    TCOM - California
    KCU
    LUCOM
    RVCOM
    DMU
    Rowan
    NYITCOM
    MSUCOM
    AZCOM
    PNWCOM
    Western - Pomona
    LECOM
    Oklahoma State

Thanks for any help y'all can give me!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. medstudent1215

Pre-Medical
    Hey, so I am strictly regurgitating what has been commented on my own personal feeds and within other feeds from SDN members, but the consensus has been pretty unanimous:
    NYITCOM, MSUCOM, Oklahoma State, PNWU, and RVCOM all have very heavy instate or regional preferences. Some reportedly on the upper end of 75-90%. I believe you to have competitive scores for DO school and couldn't imaging you wouldn't get in somewhere, but the regional bias is something to at least consider when applying.

MarkWatney likes this.
  4. MarkWatney

Pre-Medical
    Okay, awesome.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll do a bit more research on how instate heavy each of those schools are and make updates if the bias seems too high!

5. phantomyinyang

Save your money and don't apply to Oklahoma or Michigan State unless you have connections to those states. Can't speak on NYITCOM. Otherwise you're golden for all other DO schools.

MarkWatney likes this.
  6. MarkWatney

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for the insight!
    I know MSU has the outrageous tuition and also Larry Nassar, so I was already on the fence about it, probably going to scratch it off.

7. foxwood