help with easy derivative problem

Started by redd8937
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

redd8937

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't understand for the life of me why everytime there is a question such as

y = sin (2x^3-2) Find the derivative
I always think the answer should be:

cos(u) * u' where u= 2x^3-2

or

6x^2 cos (2x^3-2)

BUT whenever I put it in a derivative program online it always switches what's in the parentheses and makes the answer:

6x^2 cos (2-2x^3)

I have no idea why it switched and the first step in these online programs that work it out are always rewriting the equation

so the original equation of
y = sin (2x^3-2) becomes -sin(2-2x^3)

why does it do that!? I'm so confused
 
Because apparently it's a faulty online calculator I suppose.

In your example 6x^2*cos(2x^3-2) is the right answer. I popped it into this calculator and got the same thing: http://www.numberempire.com/derivatives.php

So don't get too hung up on it, you can apparently do basic derivatives which is what most of the PCAT calc based questions are based on. Good luck.👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the wolframalpha link gives me the other answer too, i don't get it!

I think i got it.

cos(5-4) = cos(4-5)

the order doesn't matter, just some websites use a different notation. i didn't realize cos(this # is just computed as an absolute value) because cos(-200)=cos(200)
 
The cosine function is an even function and the sine function is an odd function. That means, cos (+x) = cos(-x) and sin(-x) = -sin(+x). Look at it graphically. If you plot the cosine function from, say, -2*Pi to +2*Pi, you can perfectly fold the graph along the y axis and the negative x-axis part of the curve falls precisely onto the positive x-axis part. On the other hand, the sine curve plotted from -2*Pi to +2*Pi will not reflect across the y-axis. Therefore, both answers posted by REDD8937 are correct.