Help with getting a final school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illuminate7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! Thank you for taking the time to look at my school list. I posted months ago, and since then I've been using the SDN resources like WedgeDawgs' applicant rating system to help narrow down the school selection. I figured it would be good to get some input on a school list that is much closer to final (as I'll be applying in the 2017 cycle) as June 1st is looming intimidatingly close.

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS

cGPA: 3.96 sGPA: 3.99
B.S. in Neuroscience

MCAT score(s) and breakdown: August 2016 Test
MCAT: 130 CP, 127 CARS, 130 BB, 126 PS
513 total- I don't think it fully represents me as a candidate but I don't plan on re-taking.

1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
Pennsylvania- relocated after being a New York resident for a majority of my life.

Ethnicity and/or race: Caucasian

Undergraduate institution or category: Private Liberal Arts

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
- Study Abroad Program Core Course- was taught by Danish physicians in a hospital where we were exposed to a variety of clinical procedures including taking (real) patient history's and creating case reports as well as receiving exposure to the Danish Healthcare system as a whole. Additionally, received direct exposure to various entities within the Austrian and Hungarian health care systems (public/private hospitals, research centers, specialty/general practices etc.)
- 80 hours working as an Emergency Room patient and visitor liaison assisting clinical and non-clinical staff with fulfilling patient needs as well as as facilitating visitor interactions
-Paid summer internship: clinical and administrative service line work- worked with administration, physicians/practices, and patients to help develop a new marketing plan + website for multi-hospital system. Also worked with underprivileged communities in my city to educate and ensure patient access to available care
-Will be doing a clinical volunteer program at local hospital starting in August through the Fall semester working in Emergency Room

Research experience and productivity

2 years in a cellular and molecular neuroscience/pharmacology lab which I will continue with until graduation
Work to elucidate the binding/efficacy of various compounds on the GABA receptor + working towards discovering/mapping the binding pocket of these compounds through mutant analysis
Molecular Biology and Physiology work with DNA/RNA/Mutants frog surgery /two electrode-voltage clamping etc etc.
Received paid research grant to continue 8 weeks of full-time research this summer (June-July). Will produce a poster from this research, and likely publish with lab before graduation. Hopefully will be presenting poster at SFN or Biophysics but has not been finalized yet.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented

-80 hours in a for credit internship at local hospital: Ob/Gyn, Emergency dpt, internal med, trauma and critical care, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, general surgery, interventional radiology + int. cardiology, general surgery, anesthesiology, attending lectures for residents/med students
Individual Shadowing:
-8 hours internal med, 24 hours pediatrics, 24 hours neonatology, 4 hours vascular surgery, 8 hours Ob/Gyn

Non-clinical volunteering:
Local after school program at an elementary school with goal of establishing and maintaining active lifestyle
Peer Mentor for local at-risk high school students : 30 hours
Cleaning up downtown of city with Fraternity- 24 hrs
Volunteering at Community Kitchen in Denmark- 20 hrs

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Vice President and acting Risk Manager of Fraternity immediately after becoming a brother
Student Government elected official
Class Representative for Scholars Program
Paid student tutor for Bio, Chem, Organic Chem - 100 hrs
Outdoors club to get out of the classroom and enjoy

Relevant honors or awards:
Scholars program at institution
Student Rep for Neuro Dept at various events
Dean's List Fall 2013-Current

Will have very strong letter of recs ( At least I expect/hope :p )

Tentative School List:
Penn State
Temple
Jeff
Drexel
Tufts
Tulane
Vermont
Albany
NYMC
Hofstra
SUNY Buffalo (resident in that county until recent relocation- not sure if that matters anymore?)
Saint Louis
Emory
USC-Keck
Rochester
Dartmouth
Einstein
UVA
Ohio State
Pitt
Mayo
Case
Michigan
Duke
?? (ratings system recommends another, but would like input if you think it'd be worth applying to another Tier 1)

Total 24: would rather not apply to many more than 25 if possible. If there were suggestions to switch application weight towards more/less of a specific tier I'd appreciate it!

I'd love any critiques that you have, thank you again for your help!
Best,
Illuminate7

Members don't see this ad.

Call Buffalo to see if they will treat you as in state.

Substitute WVU, Marshall and TCMC for some of these schools with 35+ median MCATs. If you do that you should be fine