Help with HMO, etc

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Papi, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Papi

Papi Member

Hi everyone,

Can anyone suggest a good site to read up on HMO's and other healthcare related stuff (so we can prepare for interviews) thanks a bunch.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ccryder

ccryder Member

Check out the AMSA website. They have a really good report (several pages long) outlining all of the different aspects of managed care. I think it's called Managed Care 101.

4. Check the Kaiser website for "their" side of the
    story.

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Do a search of this site for HMO's, interview prep, interview tips, etc. and you'll find a ton of stuff. We've kind of been over this a lot.

I do have a recommendation for a book that's not been mentioned yet that purports to get at the root of the problems with the U.S. health care system. It's The Grand Disguise: Fifty years of faulty thinking nearly ruined American medicine, but a remedy is possible. A practicing Doctor's Analysis of Healthcare. Whew!! Longest title I've ever come across. The author is William C. Waters III, MD, an internist/nephrologist and clinical professor at Emory. Milton Friedman, the Nobel Laureate in Economics says of it

6. bebe2

bebe2 Senior Member

Someone posted this before but I will again

publicagenda.org

Excellent site, click on healthcare. It presents all sides of the "rising health care costs" issue. Then gives a sort of pros and cons analysis.