Help with Insulin products

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shroomysoup

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone help me with these insulin products and make sure that I got the ingredients down correctly? Also, what is the difference between Humulin 70/30 and Humulin 50/50? What is the difference between Humalog Mix 75/25 and Humalog Mix 50/50?

Humulin 70/30 - intermediate-acting (human insulin isophane) + short-acting (regular)

Humulin 50/50 - same as Humulin 70/30 except 50/50?

Novolin 70/30 - NPH 70%, Regular 30%

Humalog Mix 75/25 - intermediate-acting (lispro protamine) + rapid-acting

Humalog Mix 50/50 - same as above except 50/50?

Novolog Mix 70/30 - rapid-acting? (aspart protamine 70%, aspart 30%)
 
The 70/30, 50/50 refers to the concentration of each ingredient. Example: Humulin 70/30 is 70% isophane and 30% regular insulin. I'm sure a quick Google search would confirm the different insulin ingredients. I don't know all those yet.
 
The 70/30, 50/50 refers to the concentration of each ingredient. Example: Humulin 70/30 is 70% isophane and 30% regular insulin. I'm sure a quick Google search would confirm the different insulin ingredients. I don't know all those yet.

Yeah, I know that. I just want to know what the advantages are between 70/30 and 50/50. And what is the difference between aspart protamine and aspart?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I know that. I just want to know what the advantages are between 70/30 and 50/50. And what is the difference between aspart protamine and aspart?

The advantage to using a 70/30 vs. a 50/50 is going to be patient specific based on their glycemic control. If they need more of a longer acting insulin and less post-prandially, then 70/30 would be appropriate. If more post-meal, faster peaking, then the 50/50 would be used. 70/30 tends to be more commonly used in my opinion.

Aspart is just plain Novolog by itself. Immediately released (monomers) bolus insulin. When you have Novolog 75/25, the manufacturers have to modify the insulins somewhat so the release and pharmacology works. Hence, you don't just have plain NPH anymore...you have a modified aspart (just like NPH is a modified regular insulin) so that it's release into the blood is slowed. The whole hexamer to monomer dissociation.