General Help with LoR Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm sorry for the length of this. No tl;dr available. All stuff below is applicable, I think.

I'm very non-trad. I've had a long and convoluted journey getting to this point and will be applying this cycle. One of my big problems is going to be LoRs. I have the following possibilities:
  1. One science from a community college assistant professor of biology who has an MS (no PhD) from a course I took in 2015. If he agrees, it'll be milquetoast to milquetoast+.
  2. One science from a community college physics "instructor" who has an MS (no PhD) from 2 courses I took in 2016. If I can track him down and get him to agree. If he agrees, it'll likely be fair to good.
  3. One non-science from a community college tenured professor of philosophy whose course I took in 2017. She agreed back then, but I don't know if she'll change her mind due to the elapsed time. If she agrees, it'll be fair to fair+.
  4. One from my hospital volunteer coordinator, who agreed, but I'd have to write a draft myself first. This one will list my most recent experiences and I expected it to be excellent.
  5. One from a DO (for AACOMAS). I don't have anything yet, but I'll have to find someone to shadow soon. I expect it'll be milquetoast at best.
  6. One I can get from an engineering mentor at my former employer who offered to write me a letter of reference if I ever needed it, but I guess he meant more for seeking engineering employment. I could coach him on the requirements for a proper LoR, but my former employer has a strict policy of not allowing letterhead use for this. It'll have to be without a letterhead. If this can be used, it'll be good to good++ or even great.
  7. I also have several contacts at client and collaborator organizations I worked with over the years who would gladly vouch for me, but I don't know if any of them will be allowed to use their employer letterheads. Several might, but I've not approached anyone. If any of these can be used, they'll likely be good+ to good++.
I have 2 questions for adcom SDNers:
  1. Any recommendations on which 3 or 4 of the above I should pursue?
  2. How do I deal with writing my own LoR for my volunteer position? When I asked for the letter, the coordinator immediately said yes. Then said I need to write a draft first. I tried to push her in a different direction - "I thought you might speak with the ER staff yourself and then write something". She said "No", you should write it yourself and I'll edit it. Then she went on to say - "Don't be modest" Something about - this is your moment to shine etc, and really go for it, etc. I don't know how to do this. Help appreciated.
Some comments:

-A lot of LORs are fairly generic. As long as they are not outright negative, you'll be OK.
-A work-around for lack of proper leatterhead stationary is to have the writer staple their business card to the top of the letter where it doesn't obscure any words.
-While a PhD with high professional standing is desirable for chosen letter writers, it is felt that a strong, personal letter from someone who knows you well is preferred, even if it's an MS, Instructor, or grad student.

To answer your questions:
1) The standard is two faculty who taught you science and one nonscience. Many schools have exceptions/substitutions listed on their website for nontraditional applicants. I would take advantage of the latter wherever you have a strong letter you can substitute for a weak to generic one. Make a spreadsheet. Use #4 if you are still within the allowed number. The DO LOR should go to all DO schools. I'd use #7 as a last resort.

2) Look online for examples and edit as needed after reading this AMCAS LOR Guideline (printable for anyone else who agrees to write you a letter): https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...evaluation_for_a_medical_school_applicant.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.