Help With Loupes!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldudue10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-
I am looking into purchasing loupes for my school and am in need of help. Where did you guys get yours from? What websites? What companies? What magnification? What is the best option for me? Is there anywhere I can go in person to look at different loupes and try them on for myself? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

doesn't the shool tell you who to buy from?

cooldudue10 said:
Hey guys-
I am looking into purchasing loupes for my school and am in need of help. Where did you guys get yours from? What websites? What companies? What magnification? What is the best option for me? Is there anywhere I can go in person to look at different loupes and try them on for myself? Thanks!!

Purchased my loupes from a rep working for Designs For Vision. I opted for the lowest magnification (2.5x), and I would recommend that for anyone considering buying their first pair of loupes. Your school should be able to place you in contact with representatives from various loupe companies. You can do a basic search on google for various loupe manufacturers or have a look at dentaltown.com forums under "Magnification".

Members don't see this ad :)
I purchased my through-the-lens 3.5X loupes from Orascoptic. If you contact the representative, they can come to your school so you can have a chance to try them out. Our school did a loupes night where we called reps from different companies at once so we could compare. Many people in my class have Designs, Orascoptic and Surgitel (for the Oakley frames :rolleyes: ).

The best thing is to try a bunch of them on and see what works for you. I personally chose through the lens since I felt flip ups were too heavy.

cooldudue10 said:
Hey guys-

do not buy loupes on your own, u will be getting them from school. it is included in the instrument fees. you will be given all the options in school.
the only option u get is whether u want the regular frames or the oakhleys from surgitel(oakhleys are at your own expense , ull have to pay a bit extra) you also have to choose between though the lens or flip ups.you will be allowed to try them out before ordering them.

As far as magnification is concerned, I have been told that if you use 3.5X that your vision will start to deteriorate over time b/c they are so strong. I opted for the 2.5X. But you can get a 3.5X expanded field too. It's your call, I haven't used mine yet, just ordered them. So maybe a D2,3, or 4 can answer your question more accurately.

Wait till the reps come to your school so you can look at the different models and compare prices.

per te said:
I purchased my through-the-lens 3.5X loupes from Orascoptic. If you contact the representative, they can come to your school so you can have a chance to try them out. Our school did a loupes night where we called reps from different companies at once so we could compare. Many people in my class have Designs, Orascoptic and Surgitel (for the Oakley frames :rolleyes: ).

The best thing is to try a bunch of them on and see what works for you. I personally chose through the lens since I felt flip ups were too heavy.

why do you roll your eyes about the Oakley frames? what's wrong, did you not have the cash to afford them? Like you have something against people who would prefer Oakley frames over the SUPER DORK frames that you are probably wearing. Oakley makes great sunglasses. I would feel comfortable with Oakley because they have gained my trust.

1FutureDDS said:
why do you roll your eyes about the Oakley frames? what's wrong, did you not have the cash to afford them? Like you have something against people who would prefer Oakley frames over the SUPER DORK frames that you are probably wearing. Oakley makes great sunglasses. I would feel comfortable with Oakley because they have gained my trust.

Testify :thumbup:

UOPDDS09 said:
As far as magnification is concerned, I have been told that if you use 3.5X that your vision will start to deteriorate over time b/c they are so strong.

Where did you hear that? I just upgraded to the 4.5X expanded field. And, I love them. The only thing I've noticed is that everything is a lot bigger. Your eyes certainly become adjusted to seeing millimeters via higher magnification, and it becomes difficult to to judge depths and widths at different magnification. But, my guess is that your eyes would become accustomed to whatever magnification you use, whether it be 2.5X, 3.5X, 4.5X or 10.5X.

Anyhow, I hope it's not true that your eyes deteriote over time with higher magnification. I'm not sure how magnification would cause physiological damage. Perhaps by weakening your ciliary muscles somehow?

Haha my bad. Sorry if you guys took offense to my smiley on the Oakleys. I have nothing against them, I would have actually gotten them myself if they made them through-the-lens. It just reminded me of how we all rushed to look at them for the cool factor lol yeaaah okay my loupes DO look dorky.. ah well :)

CorneliusFudge said:
Wait till the reps come to your school so you can look at the different models and compare prices.
I think at BU the only representative to come to the school is Surgitel. If you want orascoptic or design by visions you may have to contact them yourself.