Medical Help with making school list for out of state schools? (from CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a recent grad and I'm applying in the 2021 cycle. I'm from CA so apart from applying to my state schools I'd really appreciate some advice on what OOS schools to apply to where acceptance is more realistic. Here are some basic stats/info about me, thank you so much!!

cGPA: 3.65, sGPA: 3.49
MCAT: 517
Double major: Neuroscience and Spanish
Asian female

Not sure if this will help much but WARS score is 76

Research:
- 1200 hours
- Undergraduate Summer Research Program (VUSRP) fellow
- Presented at undergraduate research fair

Clinical Hours/Shadowing:
- 60+ hours shadowing various doctors at university's medical center

Volunteering:
- Spanish interpreter for medical clinics and legal organizations that serve underserved minorities
- Participant (fresh/soph) then site leader (junior/senior) for Alternate Winter Break organization (volunteering at different states in the US during winter break)
- Team member in university-sponsored global outreach program to improve sexual health of youth in Ecuador

Other:
- Given travel grant by university to attend largest LGBTQ+ conference in the US (Creating Change)
- Initiated and moderated university's own LGBTQ+ Asian Family Acceptance Panel with guest speakers from across the US
How many hours of clinical and nonclinical volunteering?

Clinical: 200
Nonclinical: 275

Members don't see this ad.

It would be amazing if that was well established in the school and community, but I don't want to be too picky. I would only take a school off the list if it was known to have a homophobic/hostile atmosphere.
What about the community in which the school resides? How about states' inclination to protect LGBTQ+ members? Admittedly medical schools and universities are nice bubbles but you have to contend with all sorts of patients and caregivers, even students and faculty who may not share your position.

Start with AMSA's resources and AAMC's here: Sexual & Gender Minority Health Resources .

It would be amazing if that was well established in the school and community, but I don't want to be too picky. I would only take a school off the list if it was known to have a homophobic/hostile atmosphere.
Delete LUCOM and Loma Linda!!!
Also consider that while the school itself might be welcoming, the local community might not. This would be most likely in the more rural areas, or in the red states

Status
Not open for further replies.