Help with Next Steps :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherpremed4444

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I had to withdraw from my Master's program (it just started a week or two ago) because my parents lost their job due to COVID-19 and it is no longer feasible for me to take out a $50,000 loan. However, on my secondaries, I stated this was my plan for this upcoming year so I am not sure if schools will frown upon this/ what should I do.

I really REALLY wanted to do the program, but I just really can't have these loans, especially if medical school is in the future. I am currently looking for a full-time job and will take classes (3 actually) related to the Masters I was supposed to complete for free on sites like Coursera since I refuse to let my financial situation restrict my academic goals.

What are your thoughts on what I should do? Should I inform the schools I applied to via update letters? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. Are you competitive without this masters program? If not, you’re giving up being a doctor. If it were me, I’d take out the loans and more loans for med school and take it back asap when im an attending

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you already withdraw or are you debating this decision? And was the masters a SMP?

Depends. Are you competitive without this masters program? If not, you’re giving up being a doctor. If it were me, I’d take out the loans and more loans for med school and take it back asap when im an attending

I didn't do it for the grades (3.9+ GPA at an Ivy undergrad, decent MCAT), reasonable EC's. I did it more because I was really passionate about it but my biggest concern was more my secondaries and that I was going to do it but I just really can't afford it now.

I am also thinking of doing an MPH in medical school ... so not sure if it makes sense to be an MD, MA, MPH (ofc with the blessing that I actually do get into a school).

Reactions: 1 user
Did you already withdraw or are you debating this decision? And was the masters a SMP?

I didn't officially withdraw yet, but I did tell my advisors that I was going to withdraw. I guess I could tell them I changed my mind if I really want to, but I'm not ready for a 50K loan on my head, especially since the MA is not medical-related, but rather a more law/ humanities orientation.

Hi Everyone,

I had to withdraw from my Master's program (it just started a week or two ago) because my parents lost their job due to COVID-19 and it is no longer feasible for me to take out a $50,000 loan. However, on my secondaries, I stated this was my plan for this upcoming year so I am not sure if schools will frown upon this/ what should I do.

I really REALLY wanted to do the program, but I just really can't have these loans, especially if medical school is in the future. I am currently looking for a full-time job and will take classes (3 actually) related to the Masters I was supposed to complete for free on sites like Coursera since I refuse to let my financial situation restrict my academic goals.

What are your thoughts on what I should do? Should I inform the schools I applied to via update letters? Thanks.
Nobody really cares about future plans. It's asked because med schools want to see that you're doing *something*. Just email Admissions and let them know.

Very sorry to hear about your family situation. COVID sucks

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't do it for the grades (3.9+ GPA at an Ivy undergrad, decent MCAT), reasonable EC's. I did it more because I was really passionate about it but my biggest concern was more my secondaries and that I was going to do it but I just really can't afford it now.

I am also thinking of doing an MPH in medical school ... so not sure if it makes sense to be an MD, MA, MPH (ofc with the blessing that I actually do get into a school).
Oh in that case you’re fine. Like goro said plans change all the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody really cares about future plans. It's asked because med schools want to see that you're doing *something*. Just email Admissions and let them know.

Very sorry to hear about your family situation. COVID sucks

Thanks. Can't wait for this virus to evaporate. And will do.