Help with OHSU Secondary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oregonian19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello y'all!

So I pre-wrote all of the secondary answers to my only state school -- OHSU. I based my answers off of the questions they haven't changed in several years. Of course these questions changed for my cycle.

The one I am concerned about is their "diversity" question. Before, it was a very basic question. This year, they have expanded it to this:

"Please discuss how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare. Please include any insight into the diversity that you would bring to OHSU School of Medicine and the profession of medicine in the context of OHSU's definition of diversity: Diversity at OHSU requires creating and sustaining a community of inclusion. We honor, respect, embrace and value the unique contributions and perspectives of all employees, patients, students, volunteers and our local and global communities. Diversity may include age, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. We respect diversity of thought, ideas and more. Diversity maximizes our true potential for creativity, innovation, quality patient care, educational excellence and outstanding service. (2000 characters) "

I had already written a diversity essay about my love for architecture and design. Specifically, I talk about why I love it, but then I move on to my understanding of how physical space impacts one's health and how environment needs to be considered when designing a treatment plan. Basically, it's a brief discussion of inclusivity and accessibility in space.

I am wondering if this can still be used? I find their question to be a little confusing.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Only you can decide if you want to use this essay. But from what you have shared, I’m not sure how this essay talks about “how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare”.

Only you can decide if you want to use this essay. But from what you have shared, I’m not sure how this essay talks about “how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare”.

I agree, I was just asking. Guess I am back to the drawing board....

I am confused as to why they added this because they already have an adversity question: "Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience."

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the architecture one is fine, personally. The prompt does mention diversity of thought and ideas.

Diversity and adversity are very different.
Well now I am confused, is this an adversity or diversity prompt? It mentions both. Given that they already have an opportunity to discuss adversity, I don't know why it would be a repeat question.

I think the architecture one is fine, personally. The prompt does mention diversity of thought and ideas.
Thank you for your response. Currently working on other essays while I get opinions.

The prompt mentions many different ways to be diverse, so I don't know why my essay doesn't work. I think the confusion is coming from the inclusion of the phrase "ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity." Feels like they are mixing prompts.

What is the school really probing for? Clearly in the latter question, they want to identify people who bounce back when they fall down. Medical school is going to present you with circumstances where you will need to bounce back; the school wants to know that you have a track record of bouncing back from bad situations. Give an example of a time when you fell down or were pushed down and how you bounced back. (Falling and pushing metaphorically, also hurt, disappointed, discouraged, etc).

The other one is trying to say that we want you to tell us how you will contribute to the diversity of our community and then list a whole bunch of characteristics that have been used to discriminate against people in the past (that's the adversity part of being Black or gay or disabled, etc.). Do you belong to any group of people who have been discriminated against at any time for any reason? I don't like identity politics but that's what they are going for here. You could also go with an unpopular (in Oregon) political position if you a Republican or pro-2nd amendment or something like that.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the school really probing for? Clearly in the latter question, they want to identify people who bounce back when they fall down. Medical school is going to present you with circumstances where you will need to bounce back; the school wants to know that you have a track record of bouncing back from bad situations. Give an example of a time when you fell down or were pushed down and how you bounced back. (Falling and pushing metaphorically, also hurt, disappointed, discouraged, etc).

The other one is trying to say that we want you to tell us how you will contribute to the diversity of our community and then list a whole bunch of characteristics that have been used to discriminate against people in the past (that's the adversity part of being Black or gay or disabled, etc.). Do you belong to any group of people who have been discriminated against at any time for any reason? I don't like identity politics but that's what they are going for here. You could also go with an unpopular (in Oregon) political position if you a Republican or pro-2nd amendment or something like that.

So they are kind of shoehorning both questions into one.

So in terms of the bouncing back, I already have a prepared answer to one of OHSU’s old questions. It was basically “tell us about a time you didn’t get what you felt you deserved.” I can rewrite the sentiment, but the overall story is that I wanted to be a pharmacy technician, I went through the whole process to get licensed and certified, but couldn’t get a job due to my inability to commit to full time work while in school. I felt defeated and frustrated by this, but I eventually found a volunteer opportunity that would allow me to perform my technician roles.

Then for the diversity, I honestly don’t fit into any of those standard groups of people who were discriminated against. I am white, male, middle-class, and suburban. The only “identity” I fit into is sexual orientation, but I have been fortunate enough to not have been discriminated against for this. I also very much agree with the liberal politics of a majority of Oregon.
I could maybe somehow turn my pharmacy experience into my diversity statement? Tie those two together?

If your sexual orientation would put you into a group that has been discriminated against, then go with that... you are grateful for the people who have gone ahead of you such that you have not experienced hardship due to your sexual orientation but you know that xyz happens in some health care settings and you will be an advocate for people who treated badly or discriminated against due to their status as a member of the LGBTQ community.

Reactions: 2 users
If your sexual orientation would put you into a group that has been discriminated against, then go with that... you are grateful for the people who have gone ahead of you such that you have not experienced hardship due to your sexual orientation but you know that xyz happens in some health care settings and you will be an advocate for people who treated badly or discriminated against due to their status as a member of the LGBTQ community.
Would that be disingenuous if I’m not an active member of the community? I went to, like, one GSA meeting in high school. That is the extent of my involvement, to be honest.

So they are kind of shoehorning both questions into one.

So in terms of the bouncing back, I already have a prepared answer to one of OHSU’s old questions. It was basically “tell us about a time you didn’t get what you felt you deserved.” I can rewrite the sentiment, but the overall story is that I wanted to be a pharmacy technician, I went through the whole process to get licensed and certified, but couldn’t get a job due to my inability to commit to full time work while in school. I felt defeated and frustrated by this, but I eventually found a volunteer opportunity that would allow me to perform my technician roles.

Then for the diversity, I honestly don’t fit into any of those standard groups of people who were discriminated against. I am white, male, middle-class, and suburban. The only “identity” I fit into is sexual orientation, but I have been fortunate enough to not have been discriminated against for this. I also very much agree with the liberal politics of a majority of Oregon.
I could maybe somehow turn my pharmacy experience into my diversity statement? Tie those two together?

I think there are plenty of people who would classify LGBTQ as a "standard group of people who were discriminated against." I'm glad that you haven't felt discriminated against. However, your sexual orientation does identify you as a minority in many settings. That is a source of adversity in and of itself. Have you ever been made uncomfortable because of sexual orientation? Have you ever felt you needed to lie or be less than truthful? Dig deeper. Even I managed to write an adversity/diversity essay on being left-handed. I imagine your story could be much richer. You need not be actively supporting LGBTQ rights for your story to matter. The perspective you've developed will serve your classmates...and your patients--especially those who may have not led as a fortunate a life as you.

Reactions: 1 users
Would that be disingenuous if I’m not an active member of the community? I went to, like, one GSA meeting in high school. That is the extent of my involvement, to be honest.

Would that stop someone from discriminating against you if wanted a service they were opposed to providing because of your status? Would that stop you from speaking up if someone in your class or a clinician said something that demonstrated their ignorance about a person like yourself? I don't buy the "but I didn't partiicpate in the community" thing for a question like this.

Reactions: 3 users
I think there are plenty of people who would classify LGBTQ as a "standard group of people who were discriminated against." I'm glad that you haven't felt discriminated against. However, your sexual orientation does identify you as a minority in many settings. That is a source of adversity in and of itself. Have you ever been made uncomfortable because of sexual orientation? Have you ever felt you needed to lie or be less than truthful? Dig deeper. Even I managed to write an adversity/diversity essay on being left-handed. I imagine your story could be much richer. You need not be actively supporting LGBTQ rights for your story to matter. The perspective you've developed will serve your classmates...and your patients--especially those who may have not led as a fortunate a life as you.

No, you're right. I definitely have more to say about the matter. I can definitely dig deeper.

Would that stop someone from discriminating against you if wanted a service they were opposed to providing because of your status? Would that stop you from speaking up if someone in your class or a clinician said something that demonstrated their ignorance about a person like yourself? I don't buy the "but I didn't partiicpate in the community" thing for a question like this.

You are also right. It's just some underlying guilt about using it. Other people have faced far worse hardships than I have, but that doesn't mean I need to ignore my own.

Thank you to everyone who posted. I feel confident about using this as my essay topic. I think it will be genuine and better match what OHSU is seeking.