Help with one month study plan DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent_2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to study for the DAT over winter break and take it in the first or second week of my spring semester. What I plan to buy is the DAT Destroyer, Crack PAT, and a bio book. From what I've heard these will be the most useful study tools for me. Any suggestions? I NEED a study schedule mapped out before I go into this, as I know one month is a short time and it's gonna be brutal. Any tips help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd drop crack pat (not representative imo) and pick up chad's chem/ochem (pretty cheap), cliffs ap bio 3rd edition (very cheap), and maybe bootcamp.

I'd also start casually reviewing science sooner (youtube, wikipedia, chad's videos). I had only 11 days to devote fully to prep, so I didn't want to waste any of that time learning or re-learning content.

Here's generally how I would have prep'd if I could do it over again given a >3-4 week time period:
Pre: review
Step 1. chad & cliff's ap bio (or feralis notes)
Step 2. destroyer (once or twice)
Step 3. practice problems (bootcamp is good and representative but avoid using it to determine expected scores)

Decide for yourself which steps help you most and devote more time there.

I think once you finish chad and destroyer, your overall chem and ochem scores can peak. I spent an overwhelming amt. of time on bio stuff cuz I had only taken 2 bio courses before my dat, so my experiences may be different. I know I sort of only talked about the sciences, but I feel like everyone has very different starting points and limitations in QR, RC, and PAT, so that's something you should address.

gooooooood luck!

Last edited:
Wasn't expecting to get such great help so fast! Thank you!! This helps a ton. I'm a little scared of the perceptual ability portion of the test and crack pat is the only thing I've really heard of, but if its not so good then maybe I'll save the money and not go for it. Thanks for the input on that!

Well that's the exact source I used and only used. I think it's overpriced and overkill. Its keyholes, tfe, and esp. HOLE PUNCH were all just a lot easier than the actual exam and I felt kind of unprepared. Lol I felt like crack pat had lied to me! I remember glancing at a bootcamp pat test and thinking wow there's no way the real pat is that hard. It wasn't, but the real test is closer to bootcamp than crack pat IMO. I scored 21 so I shouldn't complain too much, but when I was taking it I was convinced I would get a 13, which got to my head.

I'd start by watching some PAT youtube videos, then do bootcamp, you'll def be prepared for PAT.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Most helpful response ever! Thanks! For sure I will take your advice on that. I definitely wouldn't want to spend my money on something that won't prepare me enough

No problemo, just figured I'd share my experiences cuz we both have short prep times. That being said, every minute counts and don't be afraid to reschedule even a day before. Just prior to my test date, I moved it back 48 hrs at a slightly less convenient testing center and I'm convinced it made a huge difference.

You should watch all of chads videos and take notes during fall semester. Try to get all the way through a bio book too. Then in your one month do all of the practice tests on Bootcamp and crack the DAT. I did the Crack the DAT tests by subject, all of the bio, all of the chem, etc in a row to really figure out what I knew on a given subject until I felt good about that topic then did the Bootcamp tests to simulate a real test since they are the closest examples.