Help with ONH Examination Vocabulary

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AusOptomStudent

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I was wondering if some of you fine Ophthalmologists, Optometrists, and those still studying can help me out with a concise list of descriptive words to help me be more quick and accurate with my Fundus examination.

I can pick up abnormalities, but find it hard to describe, whether due to not being able to match the right word to the appearance, not knowing the right word, or being too OCD in being sure that I am seeing what I am seeing or a combination of all of the above, I am seeking your help please.

Fundus:

ONH
Disc
-Margin (Disctinct/Indistinct/Circular/Irregular/Raised/Swollen/tilted
-Color (Pink/Orange/Yellow[I know yellow is technically unhealthy but healthy looks yellow to me})
--also what color does pallor describe?
-Cup (shallow/deep/?)
-Vessels (AV ratio/tortuos/bayonetting)
-CD ratio
Retina
-Macula (Flat/Raised/pigmented/foveal reflex/)
-Tygroid (normal in myopes/certain ethnicities)
-

Is there anything else you guys can think of? Also if you can post some of the structured ways you approach your ONH examination to give me ideas to borrow and steal from in making mine more efficient that would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Optom Student
 
Last edited:
Hi I was wondering if some of you fine Ophthalmologists, Optometrists, and those still studying can help me out with a concise list of descriptive words to help me be more quick and accurate with my Fundus examination.

I can pick up abnormalities, but find it hard to describe, whether due to not being able to match the right word to the appearance, not knowing the right word, or being too OCD in being sure that I am seeing what I am seeing or a combination of all of the above, I am seeking your help please.

Fundus:

ONH
Disc
-Margin (Disctinct/Indistinct/Circular/Irregular/Raised/Swollen/tilted
-Color (Pink/Orange/Yellow[I know yellow is technically unhealthy but healthy looks yellow to me})
--also what color does pallor describe?
-Cup (shallow/deep/?)
-Vessels (AV ratio/tortuos/bayonetting)
-CD ratio
Retina
-Macula (Flat/Raised/pigmented/foveal reflex/)
-Tygroid (normal in myopes/certain ethnicities)
-

Is there anything else you guys can think of? Also if you can post some of the structured ways you approach your ONH examination to give me ideas to borrow and steal from in making mine more efficient that would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Optom Student

I would not be fixated on actively developing a highly set vocabulary for describing findings, as the list is inexhaustible, and there are great variations by school, country, doctor, etc.

If you have questions about what specific terms mean, please feel welcome to ask, and I'm sure we'll try to help clarify; no doubt, some of the language can be confusing, and some is just plain imprecise.