Help with Post-Bacc Info (high undergrad GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am graduating my undergrad Spring 2013 with a 3.92 from University of Florida and plan on applying to med school and take mcat this spring also for matriculation into the Fall 2014 semester.

I am reading a lot about different programs and the gap year is normally a GPA booster. I just didn't feel mentally ready to enter med school since I was getting burnt out almost and wanted a chance to go outside of the classroom to get experience. I'd like to continue doing research at a top tier school to better help my chances of getting in (possibly need to contact professors from that university if they have an open position). I wanted to ask would sort of programs would allow me to do research, not really a gpa booster, for my gap year or do I contact PIs from universities if they have a spot in their lab independent of programs?

Any other opinions or help on the matter would be appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am graduating my undergrad Spring 2013 with a 3.92 from University of Florida and plan on applying to med school and take mcat this spring also for matriculation into the Fall 2014 semester.

I am reading a lot about different programs and the gap year is normally a GPA booster. I just didn't feel mentally ready to enter med school since I was getting burnt out almost and wanted a chance to go outside of the classroom to get experience. I'd like to continue doing research at a top tier school to better help my chances of getting in (possibly need to contact professors from that university if they have an open position). I wanted to ask would sort of programs would allow me to do research, not really a gpa booster, for my gap year or do I contact PIs from universities if they have a spot in their lab independent of programs?

Any other opinions or help on the matter would be appreciated. Thank you

Why not just take the time off and volunteer, shadow and just study for MCAT? You look like you have earned it. No need to take any thing else.

I agree. You felt burned out. If you slip up in an SMP that could eliminate med school for you. Just take a year off and do something you enjoy...you could join Americorps, teach in China, work in a research lab..and then apply with that awesome 3.92

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just take the time off and volunteer, shadow and just study for MCAT? You look like you have earned it. No need to take any thing else.

I plan on applying early so I will take the MCAT around this upcoming April/May if I am scoring where I'd like to be scoring.

With the research at a university, can I just contact a PI and ask if they have an open position for you a year or will they only accept people in post-bacc programs? Also side question, but how does Harvard Extension work and similar schools? (Grad students can take classes online that provides them a better chance of getting into that school? Does it have to be a master degree seeking program?)

Thank you for the response

Planning a gap year usually results in a The-Possibilities-Are-Endless list. Having a full year to fill the holes in your application can be an extremely valuable commodity if used correctly. Otherwise, it just ends up being a fuzzy period during which you did this, that, and the other (also read - nothing of note).

It sounds like you're considering more school solely for the purpose of gaining a leg up at X, Y, or Z school. You would be much better served devoting every ounce of academic focus you have in you to the MCAT. Don't make the mistake of underestimating its impact on your application, especially if you're currently suffering from burnout. Your GPA is excellent, but it's only half the battle. If you turn out a sub-par performance on the MCAT because you were spread too thin, that will ultimately dictate the type of schools at which you'll be considered competitive. A few Harvard extension classes will not compensate for this even slightly, at Harvard or at any other school.

Before you decide on research for sure, make sure there aren't any other major holes in your application. If research is the only thing that's lacking, then it wouldn't be a terrible thing to do on the side. But be realistic about what you can gain from it. A surprising thing I learned from LizzyM in the pre-allo forum: top-tier schools treat students who did research at their school the same exact way they treat someone who did research at another school. If you can manage a publication or a glowing letter from a highly regarded member of the faculty at a top school, then great. But if we're being realistic? Find a place that will allow you responsibility and autonomy in the lab, in addition to fitting your needs for the year (read: allowing you enough flexibility to study for the MCAT). Cleaning glassware at a top university won't impress adcoms, but presenting the work you did and the skills you gained in an impressive fashion will.

As far as how to go about finding a lab, you have the right idea. Don't go through graduate/structured programs. Find labs at nearby universities and email the PI directly.

Planning a gap year usually results in a The-Possibilities-Are-Endless list. Having a full year to fill the holes in your application can be an extremely valuable commodity if used correctly. Otherwise, it just ends up being a fuzzy period during which you did this, that, and the other (also read - nothing of note).

It sounds like you're considering more school solely for the purpose of gaining a leg up at X, Y, or Z school. You would be much better served devoting every ounce of academic focus you have in you to the MCAT. Don't make the mistake of underestimating its impact on your application, especially if you're currently suffering from burnout. Your GPA is excellent, but it's only half the battle. If you turn out a sub-par performance on the MCAT because you were spread too thin, that will ultimately dictate the type of schools at which you'll be considered competitive. A few Harvard extension classes will not compensate for this even slightly, at Harvard or at any other school.

Before you decide on research for sure, make sure there aren't any other major holes in your application. If research is the only thing that's lacking, then it wouldn't be a terrible thing to do on the side. But be realistic about what you can gain from it. A surprising thing I learned from LizzyM in the pre-allo forum: top-tier schools treat students who did research at their school the same exact way they treat someone who did research at another school. If you can manage a publication or a glowing letter from a highly regarded member of the faculty at a top school, then great. But if we’re being realistic? Find a place that will allow you responsibility and autonomy in the lab, in addition to fitting your needs for the year (read: allowing you enough flexibility to study for the MCAT). Cleaning glassware at a top university won’t impress adcoms, but presenting the work you did and the skills you gained in an impressive fashion will.

As far as how to go about finding a lab, you have the right idea. Don’t go through graduate/structured programs. Find labs at nearby universities and email the PI directly.

Thank you for the info about top-tier research. I will definitely try to find one with a good level of autonomy. I really appreciate it

Harvard Extension has excellent upper division BIO classes, some are taught by HMS faculty but if I were in your position I would look into the NIH postbac research program or other competitive, known programs.