Help with preparing for pharmacy school

Started by am2000
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

am2000

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good evening! I am thrilled that I found this website. I need help because I have no idea of where to start. I am going to make this short and simple.
I am a high school graduate and that is it. No degree or anything. I did fairly well in high school.
I have worked in pharmacy since I was 16. Started as a cashier and am now 31 working in hospice/palliative care as a pharmacy tech II. I have been certified for 10 years. I did retail for 7 years then got lucky with the job I have now (excellent hours, pay, supervisor is awesome, etc)
With all of that said, I have a passion for pharmacy. I love it. It is my life. I have always wanted to go to pharmacy school but when I graduated from high school 13 years ago, my priorities were not in order at all.
There is a school of pharmacy near my home that opened within the past year and that has really fueled the fire to get back in school.
However, I need to know where to start. There is another local college that offers
pre-pharmacy classes that I know I would have to complete.
I haven't researched this in a long time but I feel that now is the time to dive in and go for it. I need a starting point. That is why I am here. I know I need to obtain my transcripts from high school but then what?
Please point me in the right direction. I am not wanting to discuss this with anyone at my work nor do I want them to know about it until I get started in the right direction.
Thank you to everyone in advance for any/all advice. I will deal with the financial part which I know will be well into the thousands. That will be another thread once I can get a grip on this part. I am scared and excited at the same time. I have been pushed for years as to why the heck aren't you a pharmacist and all I can say is, it's a long story. I didn't have the drive or motivation 13 years ago to do this. I want it so badly, I can almost taste it. I want to succeed and make my family proud.
Thank you again. Have a fabulous evening!
 
Figure out what prereqs you need, take them, take the pcat, maybe get a bachelor's, then apply to pharmacy school
 
In ur case, u need to start off with taking all the pre-req for all the schools u want to go to. While taking all the science and math classes, u will see ur strenghth that if u can handle these classes or not. If u do good then applying to pharmacy school. if don't get accepted then u need to get ur bachelor. it prop gonna take u another 2-3 years to finish the pharmacy prereq bc u have take the placement test for college, if u do well on the placement test, then u'll go straight to college level, if not u have to take the prereq to fulfill it. That would take u a while. And then if u have to go for a bachelor then another 2 years. But I meant determination will take u anywhere u want to be. Good luck!