Help with prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klea14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 25 years old. I have my undergrad in psych and a masters in science (counseling). I am currently trying to obtain my pre requisites to take mcat, med school, etc to pursue psychiatry. I'm just starting out. I have inorganic chem I, college algebra, bio I underway. Since I'm pursuing psychiatry I have been told just to do the requirements for med school and take psychology classes(since this is what I'm interested in and plus I have these out of the way) by a practicing psychiatrist. However, my advisor(who is not very helpful or friendly) is telling me to complete genetics, cell biology, and possibly trig as a pre req for physics. I would really appreciate some insight about what to take and what not to because I would like to get everything going at a faster rate. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Listen to the psychiatrist, he/she went through medical school and knows what they are talking about. The adviser is stupid and clueless. Cell bio is not a pre-req for any class or med school. If you tank it your GPA is killed by a class u don't need. Genetics is not a pre-req but will help you some in med school to know the basics. You may need trig for physics, depends on what your school requires.

From my experience (currently back in school after graduating a while ago):

You will need Chemistry 2 and Biology 2, both with labs. Then you will need Physics 1 and 2, both with labs. Depending on your math background and the type of physics you choose to take, you would be wise to take a pre-calculus (trig) or calculus course. If there is some algebra-based physics junk, then I am not sure what you will need. You will need Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, both with labs. Depending on where you are applying they may require biochemistry or allow it as a replacement for one semester of organic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd definitely suggest trig if you haven't had it, for physics. Although you might be good with a review of trig for Kahn Academy. You'll need biochem for the new MCAT.

Otherwise, just take what you need to meet the med school pre reqs and prepare for the MCAT.