Help with ranking please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattjosef

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-UCSF
-NYU
-University of Wisconsin (Madison)
-Wakeforest University
-Mount sinai
- University of Chicago (northshore)
- University of kentucky
-Loma Linda University
-East Tennessee University
-UAB
- UNC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you really asking for random strangers to help you make a major life decision? You interviewed at these programs, you know what you're looking for, and thus you should make your rank list. There are far too many variables at play for anyone but you to make a decision like this.

I would presume with a list like that, and with so many grammatical errors in your question, that you're an FMG.

Please apply to primary care, preferably IM but also FM, for our sake and for yours.

None of those programs will give you adequate training for real-world practice, but all of them will recruit you for grossing specimens. You'll have to do at least one fellowship, and your options for such will be limited coming from any of those places. After all of that you're gonna have a hard time finding any work at all. An FMG coming from a low-end residency program with a low-end fellowship or two in tow isn't what most groups are looking for. You'd be lucky to end up working as a urologist's in-house salaried pathologist making 10% of what you bill, if that.

Apply to primary care. You'd be a fool not to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would presume with a list like that, and with so many grammatical errors in your question, that you're an FMG.

Please apply to primary care, preferably IM but also FM, for our sake and for yours.

None of those programs will give you adequate training for real-world practice, but all of them will recruit you for grossing specimens. You'll have to do at least one fellowship, and your options for such will be limited coming from any of those places. After all of that you're gonna have a hard time finding any work at all. An FMG coming from a low-end residency program with a low-end fellowship or two in tow isn't what most groups are looking for. You'd be lucky to end up working as a urologist's in-house salaried pathologist making 10% of what you bill, if that.

Apply to primary care. You'd be a fool not to.

Lol, I'm a native speaker and always scored well on tests. I will let you know after 5 years (residency + fellowship).

Over9000, you win for jerk of the year post. Wow, I couldnt imagine working with you.

There are tons of FMGs in Pathology. Everyone that I know has gotten a job (many are FMGs as well). Dont listen to Over9000. I agree with mlw03. Rank your programs based on where you think you would be most HAPPY with (based on the feeling you got during the interview season) and will give you a good education. Four years is a long time and speaking from experience one lunatic attending or one troubled co resident can ruin your four years.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok I was a bit harsh. The general state of the field is far from ideal, and I gather that a component of my criticism of the field's management made its way into what I intended to be advice.

I'll make my claim a bit more diplomatic: pathology is a field that presents numerous challenges in both obtaining adequate training and securing acceptable work. There are numerous programs that will take individuals who have no better options. These programs overload residents with grossing scut while providing inadequate opportunities for experience in diagnosis for reasons such as lack of preview time, lack of practice resources, lack of an acceptable curriculum, and inadequate specimen volume/variety. Attending such a program is not a wise move for the future: diagnostic skills will be below par, fellowships will be difficult to obtain, and securing/maintaining employment will be a challenge. I mentioned primary care fields as alternatives to pathology because those, like pathology, are open to those with fewer better options, but unlike pathology have good job prospects.

That seems to be a very odd mix of programs. What drew you to apply to them in the first place? What are your goals when you finish? Where do you want to live? Are you couples matching with someone in another field?

I would not have considered the NorthShore in Chicago program when I was a medical student, but I met a grad from there at a conference a few years ago who thought the training was good. Chicago can be a hard place to land a job in without connections and he seemed to have landed in a good group in the suburbs. But then you don't list any other Chicago area programs with better reputations (NW, regular UC program, LU).

When is the deadline to submit rank lists for the match?

-UCSF
-NYU
-University of Wisconsin (Madison)
-Wakeforest University
-Mount sinai
- University of Chicago (northshore)
- University of kentucky
-Loma Linda University
-East Tennessee University
-UAB
- UNC

1 UCSF
2 Wisconsin
3 nyu
4 mount Sinai
5 UNC (assuming you mean North Carolina)
6 UAB
7 wake Forrest
8 university of Kentucky
9 Lima Linda
10 East Tennessee.

Reactions: 1 user
I am really sorry if anyone has been rude to you. In general, I think it is not intentional and sometimes things posted online get lost in translation. My advice is this-- rank them based on your gut feeling. It doesn't matter what the stats are if you dislike a program. You will learn the best where you are the most comfortable. Where did you like the residents? Which programs had faculty you could relate you? Ultimately, you will want to find an adviser and a mentor wherever you go. Rank based on that. It sound wishy washy, but it has served me well in life to trust my instincts. There is no magic formula to do this. You just have to feel comfortable with your list in the end.

Reactions: 1 user
I am really sorry if anyone has been rude to you. In general, I think it is not intentional and sometimes things posted online get lost in translation. My advice is this-- rank them based on your gut feeling. It doesn't matter what the stats are if you dislike a program. You will learn the best where you are the most comfortable. Where did you like the residents? Which programs had faculty you could relate you? Ultimately, you will want to find an adviser and a mentor wherever you go. Rank based on that. It sound wishy washy, but it has served me well in life to trust my instincts. There is no magic formula to do this. You just have to feel comfortable with your list in the end.
Thank you so much for this advice, as you said a lot of poeple are really rude in this forum and a lot of negativity.
By the way this Guy (Over9000) is jumping between threads and saying the same thing about the language issue,
I feel sorry about him.
Apreciate your help, thanks

Are you really asking for random strangers to help you make a major life decision? You interviewed at these programs, you know what you're looking for, and thus you should make your rank list. There are far too many variables at play for anyone but you to make a decision like this.

I concur with this.