Help with Reading Comp

CinnamonBijoux

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

does anyone know how to do better on the reading comp sections?? I find myself not having enough time left. The Detailed reading seems so overwhelming. When i skip to the questions, i feel that im lost and have no idea what the passage is about??? how many of you guys actually read the passage---(not thoroughly, but enough to have an okay sense of what the passage is about)??

Also there are 50 questions and 50 minutes right??

just checking because i looked at a kaplan oat flyer and it said that on the real OAT the reading comp was 50 questions 60 minutes...which would make a huge difference.

for those of you who didnt take a kaplan course...did you think that the 3 practice tests from the BIG kaplan book were enough practice...? if not how did you practice for reading comp?

Members don't see this ad.

Whew!! RC makes a lot of people nervous, I think. First, when you come across a passage and you look at it you're probably starting to kind of freak out already, so just calm down and take a big breath. You can try this if you'd like: look at the questions first, and get a jist as to what they'll be asking you. Then, skim the passage (and I mean skim) and write down key words, thoughts, for each paragraph that you skim. Chances are, the answers to the questions are in the passage, you just need to find them. You kind of have to do a lot to be able to get the hang of it, but you should be fine if you practice! :)

Also, I think it's 50 minutes, 40 questions, but please somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm doing anything and everything I can get my hands on. I bought the Kaplan materials from people that include extra practice tests, I also bought Destroyer, and the Kaplan book sold in bookstores. It's good to find some people on here that are selling their materials because then you can get them for a better deal ;) Let me know if you want to talk about the OAT some more.. just PM me! Good luck!

Whew!! RC makes a lot of people nervous, I think. First, when you come across a passage and you look at it you're probably starting to kind of freak out already, so just calm down and take a big breath. You can try this if you'd like: look at the questions first, and get a jist as to what they'll be asking you. Then, skim the passage (and I mean skim) and write down key words, thoughts, for each paragraph that you skim. Chances are, the answers to the questions are in the passage, you just need to find them. You kind of have to do a lot to be able to get the hang of it, but you should be fine if you practice! :)

Also, I think it's 50 minutes, 40 questions, but please somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm doing anything and everything I can get my hands on. I bought the Kaplan materials from people that include extra practice tests, I also bought Destroyer, and the Kaplan book sold in bookstores. It's good to find some people on here that are selling their materials because then you can get them for a better deal ;) Let me know if you want to talk about the OAT some more.. just PM me! Good luck!

okay great! good tips lovelydisaster. thanks for the advice...i appreciate it!

i really do hope that it is 40 questions. I was confused because i looked at the OPTED examinee guide and it said that there was 50 minutes and (because of the practice test i looked at ) i assumed there were 50 questions.

it's 40 questions in 50 minutes.

And.. NO that is not enough time. Practice!