Help with Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm not really sure how far this post would go..

I'm really interested in doing ophtho but my program does not offer many opporutinities

Step 1: 250
Step 2 CS/CK: Not done
Research: First author for surgery research publication with 2 oral presentations, 2 other poster presentations related to diabetes/exercise, 2 ongoing research experiences with no presentations/posters

I've been looking for research in my area for so long now - have emailed and called over 50 institutions and people with no luck.
I have no ophto research whatsoever and I am really worried this will hinder my opportunities for getting into residence.

Does anyone have any advice what to do at this point? I am usually pretty good at finding research, emailing professors, arranging meetings etc. but I guess my geographical location is really not helping..

I would be more than happy to help with any kind of ongoing research, even if it is as simple as data abstraction and I don't even mind being 10th author.. I just need any research at this point

Any input is highly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure where you live... but I would try to schedule some electives or vacation time at an academic ophtho institution like Wilmer, Wills, Bascom, Iowa, etc. and undertake ophtho specific experience.

Also, if you have contacted 50 institutions... I would question what your methods of communication are and perhaps that's where the issue is.

I was able to conduct a statistical analysis on cases from the National Cancer Institute regarding a rare eye tumor that had not previously been done. All the info was available online. I came into contact with an ocular oncologist in another state, and went back and forth through email. We successfully published our findings. You could do something similar. Perhaps there is an academically affiliated ophthalmologist who has a few ideas in mind, and would love to get someone on it. You already have research experience, which will help you.

Apologies I meant 50+ People.. Not institutions lol..

Turns out my email had an issue but regardless I didn't get very far. The big issue is my school does not have an optho department. When contacting other schools, they want me to have EMR access and to do that I must enroll in specific electives which are time intensive and I honestly just don't have that time right now.

Many basic labs also want 5+ month commitments.

I am going to see if I can find a mentor and propose to him some ideas and possibly get some case reports or reviews.

And that is a brilliant idea!! Thank you very much - I am definitely going to look into that more

Thanks again!