help with research!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctry23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
starting medical school (US MD, lower tier?) this month and I’m trying to think ahead about increasing my chances of matching into a good residency.

As of right now, I’m not interested in any surgical specialties or derm or rads, but thinking anesthesiology or internal medicine (to specialize in cardio or GI after). I could end up going for something like ENT or optho if I get really interested but rn internal medicine and/or anesthesiology is all I care abt. i know these aren’t THAT competitive but with step 1 being p/f, I know I’ll need some research.

My question is which specialty to start researching in? Like if I do anesthesiology research, would it hurt me if I only apply for internal medicine? What’s the easiest way to get into research and get pubs/what’s the easiest specialty to do this in?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Take this with a grain of salt because I’m also just an entering med student, but I’ve read that anesthesiology doesn’t require too much research. On the other hand, research apparently helps for upper (and to a lesser extent mid) academic IM residencies (read GI fellowship). Therefore, if you are thinking of both, it may behoove you to try medicine research rather than anesthesia research.

Again from what I’ve read:

Specialty specific research > other research >>>> no research

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to add: while I’m not applying for competitive specialties
I do want to match at a good program (top 10) in a really good location so I am assuming those need research?

Members don't see this ad :)
These are nearly all competitive except gas rads or IM. But for IM cards and GI are pretty competitive too

Those listed ARE competitive.

Any “top 10” program, in any specialty, is highly competitive. If for some reason that is really your goal, I would ask why since you can do cards/GI or become an anesthesiologist from any good university program. The “why” isn’t especially relevant to your question, and I’m not judging you for it, but be aware that you’re setting a MUCH harder goal than I think you realize.

Since you are undecided, reach out to mentors in both specialties, find the mentor that you “click” with best and start working with them. You can always swap later, but better to just start working on research asap if you’re interested in doing research. As someone else said, nonspecialty specific research is still useful even though you will eventually want some specific research

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I believe that too 10 anesthesiology, while competitive, is alot easier than top 10 IM. I’ve heard that top IM is on par with derm, ortho, ent etc. in terms of difficulty.