Help With Residency Program List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Applying to psych this cycle. Need help with residency list. I'll be mainly applying to academic programs. I'm from the Midwest and that is where I attend medical school so will apply to some programs in my home state but really looking at programs out west. Or somewhere warm near the ocean. Please let me know what other programs to consider or take off my list.

Stats: Allopathic (MD). Step 1 237. Step 2 CK 246. One first author publication in psych as a case report. 2 co author pubs in oncology. 5 poster/oral presentations. Volunteer work first and second year.

California

UCSD

UC Irvine

UC Riverside

Loma Linda

Arrowhead Regional Medical Center Program

Kaiser Southern CA program

UCLA Harbor

UCLA David Geffin

Charles Drew University Program

USC

Maybe UCSF, Stanford, UC Davis?

Florida

Community Health of South Florida

Larkin Community Hospital Program

Jackson Memorial Hospital

Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida

Citrus Health Network Inc

Adventura Hospital

Memorial Healthcare System Hollywood Florida

Florida Atlantic

Palm Beach Consortium for Graduate Medical Education

West Florida GME Consortium

University of South Florida

Arizona

University of Arizona-Tuscon

University of Arizona- Phoenix

Creighton University School of Medicine (Phoenix)

New York

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

New York Presbyterian (Cornell campus)

NYU School of Medicine

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/St Lukes

-Maybe other programs out east?

Other Schools

A few schools in my home state in the midwest (trying to be anonymous)

University of Colorado

University of Utah

University of Hawaii

Duke

UNC

Members don't see this ad.

All over the map...literally.

Focus on what and where you really want to be, and use your "midwestern" home state as your backup plan.

If California is your goal, why would you leave off UCSF, Stanford, and Davis? Seems very odd to me.

New York? Really?

Florida? Really?

Find more for your "other" category...you are on the right track there.

Focus on what and where you really want to be, and use your "midwestern" home state as your backup plan.

If California is your goal, why would you leave off UCSF, Stanford, and Davis? Seems very odd to me.

New York? Really?

Florida? Really?

Curious of your opinion on my situation... Applied to pretty much all of the same programs as op. My scores are a bit higher, but I'm a DO. Should I apply to more back ups/lower tower programs or would this list + 15 others be enough?

Calif resident in school in Calif. If it matters...

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious of your opinion on my situation... Applied to pretty much all of the same programs as op. My scores are a bit higher, but I'm a DO. Should I apply to more back ups/lower tower programs or would this list + 15 others be enough?

Calif resident in school in Calif. If it matters...

Being both a CA resident and attending med school instate has to be a positive, I think. Nexus is a factor, and I have a feeling even more of a factor, for California residency chances.

I have no knowledge of how it all works for DO applicants, I am MD, but it sounds like you are in good shape. If it were me, I would apply to all instate CA programs (how many are there?), and do a fair number of out of state programs. Again, if you want to be in CA - which is understandable - I assume you would also look closely at other west coast states and Rocky Mtn west states, too. That is what I would do...personally I would not give a darn about the east coast, or anything east of Rockies for that matter, but that is me, maybe not you. Focus on your goal location, and go all out on it.

Being both a CA resident and attending med school instate has to be a positive, I think. Nexus is a factor, and I have a feeling even more of a factor, for California residency chances.

I have no knowledge of how it all works for DO applicants, I am MD, but it sounds like you are in good shape. If it were me, I would apply to all instate CA programs (how many are there?), and do a fair number of out of state programs. Again, if you want to be in CA - which is understandable - I assume you would also look closely at other west coast states and Rocky Mtn west states, too. That is what I would do...personally I would not give a darn about the east coast, or anything east of Rockies for that matter, but that is me, maybe not you. Focus on your goal location, and go all out on it.

Thanks for your feedback. I did go ahead and apply to a bunch of east coast and south east programs. Figure in the grand scheme it's only a few extra hundred bucks to hopefully have a bit more security. Would be ecstatic if I got enough California and west coast interviews to make it moot though.

New York? Really?

Florida? Really?

I guess I'm applying broadly. New York programs because they're good programs/reach schools. Florida programs because I love the ocean and surfing and scuba diving. But I do want to a good program so perhaps I should add more academic programs. Any suggestions? Oregon and Washington? Just looking for some advice.

Also what's the difference between categorical vs psychiatry programs that I see on ERAS?

Last edited by a moderator: