Help with ROL

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by leu345, Jan 3, 2009.

1. leu345

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Jopkins
    Yale
    CCF
    Wash U
    Cornell
    Indiana U

I am flexible with location and willing to work hard, any inputs?

2. 106174

106174 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hopkins
    Cleveland Clinic (they have taken out the "F" in their name)
    WashU
    Yale
    Indiana
    Cornell

3. big_worm

big_worm New Member

agree with BigD

4. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's one thing to be flexible with location but those are pretty different places to live in. One of the most important things about picking a residency is picking a place you want to live in for 4-5 years, and potentially after residency as well (always an advantage to do residency near where you want to live permanently, although it's not critical).

My ranking of these programs would be based almost entirely on location, because they would all provide solid training. I would put Yale last, cornell second to last. I avoided Yale when i applied because they had had some issues with their program, but I believe they are ok now. I just think New Haven is a pit. Hopkins is a great program, although it is not suitable for many applicants based on how it is organized and its relative intensity.

5. KluverB

KluverB New Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    McDs
    KFC
    Taco Bell
    Arby's
    BK

6. yaah

yaah Boring

Attending Physician
    Taco Bell goes last. Other than that it's a tossup, depending on the day's particular mood.

7. HbyHA

HbyHA Fellowship, take 2.
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

many "good" programs will give you a relatively equivalent training, albeit not necessarily organized the same way with the same intensity. no matter how great a program is, if you are living in a place that makes you miserable, well... that's a tough way to spend 3-4 years (maybe more if you're looking for a fellowship at that institution.

i would also encourage (if you haven't already and can swing it with limited funds) you to go back for a second (or even a third if you're not really sure) look. when you are there, check out the people who are there. they will be your future colleagues and can make your life a lot easier or a lot more painful...

Best of luck.

8. Psychopathology

5+ Year Member

That resonates beautifully with those of us who may have made the mistake in choosing a medical school. My friends worry when I say I'll be doing "four to six for residency and fellowship."

It's gonna be hard time, but in pathology you can expect more opportunities to leave the hospital than your crazy buddies in surgery and medicine. Assuming you are the type that actually wants to set foot outside the lab, will you enjoy what your town has to offer or will you pine for someplace that feels more like home?

To each her own. Best of luck to everybody in deciding what matters most... and a happy new year!

9. Absidia

7+ Year Member

As a resident at JHH, I agree that it is not ideal for an applicant looking for a "9 to 5" type residency (although this would be the case for any program with a high SP volume). But yaah, please clarify what, in your view, about our residency organization "is not suitable for many applicants"? Perhaps I can address any specific points for those looking to put their rank lists together.

10. yaah

yaah Boring

Attending Physician
    Some applicants do not want a large program with a great history and many high powered attendings. You also work harder than many. Plus, the city will scare people off.