Help with School Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceMan731

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just received my MCAT results and I am not too happy with them. I received a 26 :/ PS-9. VR-8. BS-9. My cumulative GPA is a 3.64 and my science GPA is a 3.45. I am also a NJ resident. Here is my list of DO schools so far:

-AZCOM
-CCOM
-DMU
-VCOM
-NOVA
-PCOM
-Rowan
-Touro- CA, NY

I have been an EMT (both paid and volunteer) for the past 2.5 years and have over 700 hours logged for both working and volunteer. I have done research and presented it at a poster presentation. I am also currently doing another research project with a different professor at my school. I am president of a club at my school and have about 75 hours worth of shadowing a DO physician (who also wrote me a LOR). I was involved with a fraternity and a dance minor at my school.

I am thinking of taking Touro out since I will probably be screened out with my MCAT score. I don't really have a preference state-wise, so where else do you think I should apply with my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

You are good to go at a lot of schools. Sure a 26 isnt going to break the bank and get you in everywhere, but it doesnt really take you out of the running either, except as you mentioned at the Touros and maybe CCOM. Your GPA is good and you have good clinical experience.

As for where else to apply. Maybe add MUCOM and KCUMB on there, those are two that I think would be receptive to you. Otherwise put those eggs in the Rowan basket. Give that secondary everything you got!

I think you might be aiming a little top heavy. I called AZCOM a couple of days ago about an MCAT concern and they told me that they weren't planning on considering anything less than a 29. I want to call BS on that as their average last year was a 28 but that's what an admissions adviser told me so :shrug:. PCOM might be a reach also but you never know if you don't try. Good luck my friend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Yeah I think I am going to add KCUMB and MUCOM.

Yeah, I'm hoping Rowan will give me some love haha. Good luck to you guys too!

Reactions: 1 user

Being from NJ helps you and that tuition is low also.

That should be your #1.

Otherwise add plenty of schools and you should be successful this cycle. I know people in good DO schools with a 26.

Last edited:

If you want to shadow and see what the med school life is about you can contact admissions and they can set you up with a tour or shadowing a 1st or 2nd year. Good luck!

If you want to shadow and see what the med school life is about you can contact admissions and they can set you up with a tour or shadowing a 1st or 2nd year. Good luck!

I actually just went for a campus tour last Friday! I love the school and admissions staff already said that I could shadow a medical student. Everyone was really nice and I really got that "family" environment as soon as I walked in. It's definitely my top choice!