Help with school list, 3.95 CGPA, 519 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JH6644

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: Rising Senior

Country/state of residence: Missouri

Major: Biology

Schools to which you are applying:
Mizzou, St. Louis U, Wash. U, Loyola, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, UCSD, Northwestern, Columbia, Quinnipac, Creighton, The Texas Schools, still trying to round out this list with schools that fit my application and stats.

Cumulative GPA: 3.97

Science GPA: 3.94

MCAT Scores 519 (130/129/128/132)

Research – : No research experience

Volunteering (clinical) at a hospital in a leadership role in various sections for 250 hours.
At a primary care clinic for 40 hours.

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: 15 Orthopedic, 8 Opthalmology, and 10 Cardiology

Non-clinical volunteering: 120 hours of assorted volunteer projects through service fraternity
, 160 hours tutoring elementary school kids.

Extracurricular activities: race for my school's club cycling team.

Employment history:
spent 2 summers working in a bank in an amusement park,
worked about 1 year at target,
worked for 1 semester as an academic tutor for student athletes,
worked for 1 year and counting as a phlebotomist at my town's local VA

Immediate family members in medicine? Nope

Specialty of interest: still open to pretty much anything, If I had to pick now then ER or Ortho.

Interest in rural health: No.

Any suggestions for school list would be appreciated, I'm just not sure how much no research experience will hurt me. Also, does my MCAT score look too unbalanced? Thank you for any feedback I appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is fine.
If that is you in the avatar, may I suggest that you protect your anonymity?
I recommend some longitudinal care shadowing. Nobody is looking for Ortho aspirants.
Netter, Chicago Med and Rush are not good matches for you.
The lack of research will handicap you at Columbia, NW and WUSTL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT is fine.
If that is you in the avatar, may I suggest that you protect your anonymity?
I recommend some longitudinal care shadowing. Nobody is looking for Ortho aspirants.
Netter, Chicago Med and Rush are not good matches for you.
The lack of research will handicap you at Columbia, NW and WUSTL.

Whoops got it changed thanks! didn't realize it did that when I created an account. Yeah I'm not really looking to go into ortho, it just happened to be how the schedules worked out when I was looking for doctors to shadow. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mid tiers are where you will see the most success (other than your state schools). I would apply to mostly mid tiers, all your state schools, and several of the top tier schools as well (though, as has been said, lack of research will hurt your chances).

Some good schools to consider are Emory, UVA, USC-Keck, Hofstra, Rochester, Einstein, Dartmouth, Case Western, Sinai, perhaps Cornell.

Don't apply to the Texas schools if you aren't a TX resident. Listen to gyngyn regarding Rush, Netter, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Mid tiers are where you will see the most success (other than your state schools). I would apply to mostly mid tiers, all your state schools, and several of the top tier schools as well (though, as has been said, lack of research will hurt your chances).

Some good schools to consider are Emory, UVA, USC-Keck, Hofstra, Rochester, Einstein, Dartmouth, Case Western, Sinai, perhaps Cornell.

Don't apply to the Texas schools if you aren't a TX resident. Listen to gyngyn regarding Rush, Netter, etc.

Thanks Wedge I'll be sure to look into all of those. I have a quick question, why would you say to not apply to Rush? Would it be not having enough clinical volunteering or clinical experience?

The average matriculant at Rush has 800 service hours and 1600 clinical hours so yes on top of the fact your stats are >90th percentile it's not a particularly good choice for you. You aren't the type they tend to target

As was mentioned above in your shoes I might "target" about a dozen schools with an MCAT median roughly around 34 that are OOS friendly(ie Ohio St Miami etc)
Nothing wrong with several top 20 reaches although set your expectations appropriately without research exp.
Your state schools combined with the types I mentioned above should make a good list

Reactions: 1 users
Any suggestions for school list would be appreciated, I'm just not sure how much no research experience will hurt me. Also, does my MCAT score look too unbalanced? Thank you for any feedback I appreciate it!!

128, 87th percentile in B/B? Consider Caribbean.