Help with school list for a reapplicant! MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats
sGPA - 3.86
cGPA - 3.89
MCAT - 516 (128 CP/129 CARS/130 BB/129 PS)

I am a Texas resident and a reapplicant (stats have not changed much since my previous application. at most GPA went from 3.85 -> 3.89). Last cycle I interviewed/applied only MD (no acceptances) but after talking to students and all my interviewers I realized I'd be happier getting an MDPhD anyways. However since I had an unsuccessful cycle it has really taken a toll on my confidence in schools, so I would like for advice on schools I should consider/apply to.

Research experience (things different from previous application are italicized)
- brief summer stint at a biology lab in high school (not really significant)
- 4 years of basic science research experience at a molecular biology lab focusing on enzyme kinetics of RNA helicases (current manuscript in the works, 4 posters (1 international), 1 oral (cancelled because of covid)). ~7000 hours Will continue research as a technician in my gap year
- senior undergraduate researcher means I trained incoming undergraduates and mentored their projects while working on my own
- Received research fellowship 2018-2019 to fund my project

Other experience (things different from previous application are italicized)
- 50 hours shadowing ER doc's overnight shifts (brief)
- Tutor for biochemistry, coordinator for my school's tutoring services for biochemistry (1 year)
- 200 hours medical scribe of an ortho surgeon (2 semesters)
- Physical therapy assistant for local community org serving Parkinson's Patients (1 semester)
- 300 hours total clinical volunteering (at both a local hospital and clinic) (1 year at hospital, 1 summer at clinic)
- Graduated with honors and a research distinction
- Daycare instructor (1 semester)
- I like painting :)

LOR
- great letters from my PI and 2 professors that I have worked as a TA/coordinator for, along with a great one from the doctor I shadowed.
-I have other good letters from sociology (my minor) professors however I am considering not sending them since they can't really speak to my research background.

Current List
(all texas MDPHD/MSTP schools)
utmb, utsw, uthsc, utsa, tx tech, tx a&m, baylor

OOS
Einstein
Stanford
Case Western
Emory
UCLA
U Wisconsin?
U Colorado?

I am interested in basic science research in neurology (such as work in structure analysis or understanding protein misfolding mechanisms in neurodegenerative diseases). However obviously I am open to whatever research piques my interest if given the opportunity!

Best,
bgit

Members don't see this ad.

giphy.gif

now that's what I call a good application.

i'm also md > md/phd (different field) but 7000 hours?! Jesus.

@Fencer I think you'll like this Texan!

Reactions: 3 users
7000 hours for 4 years UG is insane...that's roughly ~5 hours a day and ~35 hours a week while you were a full time student! And your clinical/volunteering hours are also nothing to sneeze at; do you sleep?

However, if you can afford it, I would apply more broadly than 13-14 schools. If you're interested in neuro + protein misfolding in neurological diseases, two of the schools in Philly (Jefferson and Penn) are both fantastic. Note that in state does not count as much in MD/PhD as it does in MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
7000 hours for 4 years UG is insane...that's roughly ~5 hours a day and ~35 hours a week while you were a full time student! And your clinical/volunteering hours are also nothing to sneeze at; do you sleep?

However, if you can afford it, I would apply more broadly than 13-14 schools. If you're interested in neuro + protein misfolding in neurological diseases, two of the schools in Philly (Jefferson and Penn) are both fantastic. Note that in state does not count as much in MD/PhD as it does in MD.
The trick is to sleep in lab overnight while expts are running ;) and racking up hours over the breaks.

I echo the sentiment of adding a couple more "match" schools. The research is definitely good, but unfortunately it's not a golden ticket as one would hope using WashU's transparency as a benchmark: http://mstp.wustl.edu/admissions/Pages/Statistics.aspxI. I had a very similar app to yours (MD->MD/PhD, research hours, GPA, MCAT, honors thesis, etc.) and had good success with getting interviews at Texas schools, but I wish I had more choices in the end.

I second, add more schools. I will speak to what I know: Wisconsin would like your "phenotype", Madison is a cool city, please strongly consider the program. Hopkins has a really strong neurodegenerative disease research too.

Yeah, 1 letter from a non-science faculty that maybe emphasizes and attests to your organization skills, writing, ambition, etc might be helpful but probably not more than 1 such letter. What I would do is re-visit with the non-science faculty who wrote you letters last round, and candidly but clearly say you are reapplying, with the prior round w/o any acceptances and ask if he/she can please revisit your letter. See what kind of response you get if you can talk to them in person and feel the situation out. Maybe you will get a stronger letter, rather than something more generic "so & so was in my class, got this grade, etc".

Th
I second, add more schools. I will speak to what I know: Wisconsin would like your "phenotype", Madison is a cool city, please strongly consider the program. Hopkins has a really strong neurodegenerative disease research too.

Yeah, 1 letter from a non-science faculty that maybe emphasizes and attests to your organization skills, writing, ambition, etc might be helpful but probably not more than 1 such letter. What I would do is re-visit with the non-science faculty who wrote you letters last round, and candidly but clearly say you are reapplying, with the prior round w/o any acceptances and ask if he/she can please revisit your letter. See what kind of response you get if you can talk to them in person and feel the situation out. Maybe you will get a stronger letter, rather than something more generic "so & so was in my class, got this grade, etc".
Thanks, yes I ended up applying to Wisconsin because I knew a few of the professors and a PhD student there. There biochemistry research is great and I feel like its right up my alley! I did end up emailing the professors that wrote me letters previously and really was up-front about my situation (very humbling because Im not used to of admitting failure to people I look up to). They have all been very helpful through this cycle. Thanks again!