Help with school list for a reapplicant! MD/PhD

Started by bgit
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bgit

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stats
sGPA - 3.86
cGPA - 3.89
MCAT - 516 (128 CP/129 CARS/130 BB/129 PS)

I am a Texas resident and a reapplicant (stats have not changed much since my previous application. at most GPA went from 3.85 -> 3.89). Last cycle I interviewed/applied only MD (no acceptances) but after talking to students and all my interviewers I realized I'd be happier getting an MDPhD anyways. However since I had an unsuccessful cycle it has really taken a toll on my confidence in schools, so I would like for advice on schools I should consider/apply to.

Research experience (things different from previous application are italicized)
- brief summer stint at a biology lab in high school (not really significant)
- 4 years of basic science research experience at a molecular biology lab focusing on enzyme kinetics of RNA helicases (current manuscript in the works, 4 posters (1 international), 1 oral (cancelled because of covid)). ~7000 hours Will continue research as a technician in my gap year
- senior undergraduate researcher means I trained incoming undergraduates and mentored their projects while working on my own
- Received research fellowship 2018-2019 to fund my project

Other experience (things different from previous application are italicized)
- 50 hours shadowing ER doc's overnight shifts (brief)
- Tutor for biochemistry, coordinator for my school's tutoring services for biochemistry (1 year)
- 200 hours medical scribe of an ortho surgeon (2 semesters)
- Physical therapy assistant for local community org serving Parkinson's Patients (1 semester)
- 300 hours total clinical volunteering (at both a local hospital and clinic) (1 year at hospital, 1 summer at clinic)
- Graduated with honors and a research distinction
- Daycare instructor (1 semester)
- I like painting 🙂

LOR
- great letters from my PI and 2 professors that I have worked as a TA/coordinator for, along with a great one from the doctor I shadowed.
-I have other good letters from sociology (my minor) professors however I am considering not sending them since they can't really speak to my research background.


Current List
(all texas MDPHD/MSTP schools)
utmb, utsw, uthsc, utsa, tx tech, tx a&m, baylor

OOS
Einstein
Stanford
Case Western
Emory
UCLA
U Wisconsin?
U Colorado?

I am interested in basic science research in neurology (such as work in structure analysis or understanding protein misfolding mechanisms in neurodegenerative diseases). However obviously I am open to whatever research piques my interest if given the opportunity!

Best,
bgit
 
giphy.gif

now that's what I call a good application.

i'm also md > md/phd (different field) but 7000 hours?! Jesus.

@Fencer I think you'll like this Texan!
 
7000 hours for 4 years UG is insane...that's roughly ~5 hours a day and ~35 hours a week while you were a full time student! And your clinical/volunteering hours are also nothing to sneeze at; do you sleep?

However, if you can afford it, I would apply more broadly than 13-14 schools. If you're interested in neuro + protein misfolding in neurological diseases, two of the schools in Philly (Jefferson and Penn) are both fantastic. Note that in state does not count as much in MD/PhD as it does in MD.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
7000 hours for 4 years UG is insane...that's roughly ~5 hours a day and ~35 hours a week while you were a full time student! And your clinical/volunteering hours are also nothing to sneeze at; do you sleep?

However, if you can afford it, I would apply more broadly than 13-14 schools. If you're interested in neuro + protein misfolding in neurological diseases, two of the schools in Philly (Jefferson and Penn) are both fantastic. Note that in state does not count as much in MD/PhD as it does in MD.
The trick is to sleep in lab overnight while expts are running 😉 and racking up hours over the breaks.
 
I echo the sentiment of adding a couple more "match" schools. The research is definitely good, but unfortunately it's not a golden ticket as one would hope using WashU's transparency as a benchmark: http://mstp.wustl.edu/admissions/Pages/Statistics.aspxI. I had a very similar app to yours (MD->MD/PhD, research hours, GPA, MCAT, honors thesis, etc.) and had good success with getting interviews at Texas schools, but I wish I had more choices in the end.
 
I second, add more schools. I will speak to what I know: Wisconsin would like your "phenotype", Madison is a cool city, please strongly consider the program. Hopkins has a really strong neurodegenerative disease research too.

Yeah, 1 letter from a non-science faculty that maybe emphasizes and attests to your organization skills, writing, ambition, etc might be helpful but probably not more than 1 such letter. What I would do is re-visit with the non-science faculty who wrote you letters last round, and candidly but clearly say you are reapplying, with the prior round w/o any acceptances and ask if he/she can please revisit your letter. See what kind of response you get if you can talk to them in person and feel the situation out. Maybe you will get a stronger letter, rather than something more generic "so & so was in my class, got this grade, etc".
 
Th
I second, add more schools. I will speak to what I know: Wisconsin would like your "phenotype", Madison is a cool city, please strongly consider the program. Hopkins has a really strong neurodegenerative disease research too.

Yeah, 1 letter from a non-science faculty that maybe emphasizes and attests to your organization skills, writing, ambition, etc might be helpful but probably not more than 1 such letter. What I would do is re-visit with the non-science faculty who wrote you letters last round, and candidly but clearly say you are reapplying, with the prior round w/o any acceptances and ask if he/she can please revisit your letter. See what kind of response you get if you can talk to them in person and feel the situation out. Maybe you will get a stronger letter, rather than something more generic "so & so was in my class, got this grade, etc".
Thanks, yes I ended up applying to Wisconsin because I knew a few of the professors and a PhD student there. There biochemistry research is great and I feel like its right up my alley! I did end up emailing the professors that wrote me letters previously and really was up-front about my situation (very humbling because Im not used to of admitting failure to people I look up to). They have all been very helpful through this cycle. Thanks again!